headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

pre-purchase questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
illusory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: pre-purchase questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm testing out the UV Layout demo, and have a couple questions i need to answer before i buy.

1. UVL crashed while trying to 'Update', but saved successfully when using 'save'. is this a demo problem or something else?

2. What is the difference between handling of subdivision surfaces in Professional or Hobbyist versions? I have read the documentation, but am still ot clear on this. Will the hobbyist version provide accurate UVs for SubD surfaces or not?

3. There seems to be a huge difference in what is available in the demo (save enabled) vs demoing professional mode (save disabled). It looks from the docs like some of these features would be available in hobby mode, but that's not clear in the demo. Are the packing, stack, snap, optimize features available in any but pro version? I understand you can cycle through what is available only in pro version, in the docs, but it seems to contradict the demo so i'm confused.

4. Are there any symmetry features at all in the Hobby version? I understand that 'find symmetry' is pro only, but it seems like there should be some basic symmetry features in the other, ore the ability to mirror, considering that is rather basic in any 3D app.

5. Is there a working XSI plugin? If so, is it included, or extra cost?

thanks,
NJ
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: pre-purchase questions Reply with quote

"UVL crashed while trying to 'Update', but saved successfully when using 'save'"

Every time, or just on one particular file? If you want to email me the original OBJ file (the one you're trying to Update) I'll check it out.

"Will the hobbyist version provide accurate UVs for SubD surfaces or not?"

In the Hobbyist version (as in the Demo) you select SUBD if the OBJ file is a control cage for a subd surface. This adjusts the shape being edited so that when flattened, the UV coverage is more attuned to the subdivided surface shape than it is if you'd just flattened the subd cage as a polymesh.

Its not as accurate as the extra processing provided in the Pro version, but is still much better than nothing at all. The Demo version will show you what sort of UVS for subd surfaces you'll get out of the Hobbyist version.

"Are the packing, stack, snap, optimize features available in any but pro version?"

Packing is Pro only, but the rest are in the Hobbyist. Everything in the User Guide thats not marked [Professional] is in the Hobbyist version.

"Are there any symmetry features at all in the Hobby version? "

Under the Stack panel is a Symm button that will make the boundary of a selected shell symmetrical.

"Is there a working XSI plugin? If so, is it included, or extra cost?"

Its free, kindly provided by a UVLayout user, and is here ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=264

What I'll try and do later this week is to put a Hobbyist Trail version in the Demo download, then you'll be able to compare it against the Pro version.

Phil
illusory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: pre-purchase questions Reply with quote

"UVL crashed while trying to 'Update', but saved successfully when using 'save'"

Every time, or just on one particular file? If you want to email me the original OBJ file (the one you're trying to Update) I'll check it out.

just one so far. i'll check more.

"Will the hobbyist version provide accurate UVs for SubD surfaces or not?"

In the Hobbyist version (as in the Demo) you select SUBD if the OBJ file is a control cage for a subd surface. This adjusts the shape being edited so that when flattened, the UV coverage is more attuned to the subdivided surface shape than it is if you'd just flattened the subd cage as a polymesh.

Its not as accurate as the extra processing provided in the Pro version, but is still much better than nothing at all. The Demo version will show you what sort of UVS for subd surfaces you'll get out of the Hobbyist version.

In the video on subd surfaces, a simple model was used which was brought in as a polymesh (not subD'ed), and the uvs created. Then it was displayed as a subD, so the distortions could be shown. Showed use of 'Calc subdivision targets'. If this model had been brought in as a Subd, would the result have been the same, or more correct to begin with?

What I'll try and do later this week is to put a Hobbyist Trail version in the Demo download, then you'll be able to compare it against the Pro version.

Sounds great. After spending all day with it, i can say this is a shockingly good program, including the whole workflow implementation (which is surprising) as well as the algorithm , and the video instruction is excellent.

If I purchase the pro version, can i get a temporary license of some kind to begin using it while the dongle ships? I need to be working on a character asap...

thanks,
NJ

Phil[/quote]
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: pre-purchase questions Reply with quote

"just one so far. i'll check more"

OK, thanks. This is the first time I've heard of Update crashing, so I'm curious to see whats in that OBJ file.

"a simple model was used which was brought in as a polymesh (not subD'ed), and the uvs created. Then it was displayed as a subD..."

Actually, the OBJ in that movie has been loaded as SUBD. The Hobbyist version will give you the standard flattening, producing the narrow side panels. The Pro version properly works out that those narrow pieces need to be quite a bit wider. Its only in these extreme cases (wide polys next to narrow ones) that the Pro tools are needed.

"and the video instruction is excellent. "

Thanks :-) I hope to re-record those Old Beta ones sometime soon ... at the moment they may be out-of-date in some sections, so keep that in mind when viewing those ones.

"If I purchase the pro version, can i get a temporary license of some kind "

No problems. It'll be a temp Pro key, tied to an Ether ID. You can jump-start the process if you want by double clicking the UVLayout Demo desktop icon, and look for the 8 digit hex number next to the Ether label. Email that to me when you make the purchase.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: