headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

My most complex organic mesh in UVLayout so far: Dragon WIP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highlander_72

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: My most complex organic mesh in UVLayout so far: Dragon WIP Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I thought I'd show you my current wip and most complex organic mesh I have layed out in Phil's little masterpiece of a program so far. Considering the complexity of the mesh, UVLayout made it a breeze. Props for that go to Phil!

But enough talk, here's the base mesh in Maya:

The layed-out mesh with a checker texture applied:

and the layout in 0-1 space:

Let me know what you think, there's always room for improvement!

Cheers!

PS: The symmetry mode and the way it works is a true blessing! Many thanks again for adding that to the program, Phil!

Last edited by highlander_72 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing, you're really giving UVLayout a work-out on that mesh!

About how long did it take you to do that? I'm guessing there was probably some tedious manual labor in laying out those smaller pieces into the nicely organized lines; I can see they're center aligned, so you wouldn't have used packing boxes, and they don't have similar boundaries so the stacking wouldn't have helped either.

Phil
highlander_72

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the comments, Phil! Smile

headus wrote:

About how long did it take you to do that?

I didnt clock myself on this, but I am estimating it took me about 12-15 hours of work start to finish, including final tweaks and arranging the parts by hand. I am not sure if that is fast or slow by your or other peoples standards, but Layout did make it a breeze, as compared to any other method I could have use to get similar results.

It also took a bit longer than it could have since I went a wee bit back and forth on some parts. I did take my sweet time though, since I feel laying out solid UV's is such an extremely important step in mesh prepping.

headus wrote:

I'm guessing there was probably some tedious manual labor in laying out those smaller pieces into the nicely organized lines; I can see they're center aligned, so you wouldn't have used packing boxes, and they don't have similar boundaries so the stacking wouldn't have helped either.

I arranged them by hand into those pre-planned lines right after individual flattening . That helped organize the islands in a way I could still make sense of them and later place them where I would recognize their position on the 3D model in 2D texture space. It wasnt really all that tedious that way. Very Happy

Cheers!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am estimating it took me about 12-15 hours ... not sure if that is fast or slow"

Me neither actually. I don't do a lot of complete UV edits from start to finish, and certainly haven't done anything as complex at that dragon. Anyway, like you said, you went back and changed some bits ... experimenting is part of the fun of UVLayout :-)

"I arranged them by hand ... It wasnt really all that tedious that way. "

Well, I wont promise anything is going to happen in a hurry, but I've made a note to look at this sometime; I'm sure I can tweak the stack or pack tools for these sorts of "center aligned" arrangements.

Phil
highlander_72

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:

Well, I wont promise anything is going to happen in a hurry, but I've made a note to look at this sometime; I'm sure I can tweak the stack or pack tools for these sorts of "center aligned" arrangements.

Phil

Sounds great!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: