headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Maya Workflow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barthandelus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Maya Workflow Reply with quote

Hi guys,

First post from me, i only bought the software the other day, so please excuse any stupid questions / noobyness! Smile

So far, im seriously liking UVLayout. Making life so much easier.

Just a couple of questions: The UVLayout shelf in Maya has suddenly stopped working with an error "cannot find procedure" when i click a button. Tried clicking the install plugin button, but i cant get it to work (Maya 2014) again despite trying to reinstall the plugin.

Can someone please help me with the workflow? This is how i see it:
Export .obj file, open in UVLayout.
When done, reimport the saved .obj in to Maya and delete the 'original' model. Should i copy the UVLayout export to the Maya project folders first, and THEN import it so everything is in the same place? Im not sure if Maya would do this automatically...

What if after ages in UVLayout i realise i have made a mistake in the exported mesh? Like a few vertices that should have been merged but were missed? Just import the saved .obj from UVLayout back in to Maya, make the corrections, and then export again and carry on?

Thanks again for your help and for your patience in helping out someone new!

A
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The UVLayout shelf in Maya has suddenly stopped working"

So does that mean it was working OK? Do you remember what you did that might have broken it? It will make life easier if you can get the plugin working again.

When done, reimport the saved .obj in to Maya and delete the 'original' model

Yes, you can do that, or do what the plugin does, which is to transfer the UVs (might be called "Transfer Attributes") from the imported object over to your original object, then delete the imported mesh. If you do it that way, then you dont lose a bunch of other information that might be assigned to your model (like normals).

"What if after ages in UVLayout i realise i have made a mistake in the exported mesh? Like a few vertices that should have been merged but were missed? Just import the saved .obj from UVLayout back in to Maya, make the corrections, and then export again and carry on? "

Yes, that would work, but you could just keep on going until you've finished the UV work, load the object back into Maya and do your changes then. If you have UVs on your object already and make geometry changes, Maya should do intelligent things with the UVs.

Phil
Barthandelus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes, it was working for a while. But suddenly when i click on the Run button in Maya, i get an error at the bottom:
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "uvlayout_send".

Tried installing the plugin again, but the error remains.

The .xpm files are located at C:\Users\mainPC\Documents\maya
Also within that folder is a folder named scripts. Within there are two files:
uvlayout_home.mel and
uvlayout_open.mel

When i installed the plug in from the UVLayout GUI, i accepted the default location (Maya 2014 on Windows 8 x64).

EDIT - they work fine if i press the INFO button first, then close the pop up window. Maybe its me being wrong! Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, maybe a Maya 2014 quirk? But its great to hear you found a way to get it working.

Phil
mokosan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: send issue Reply with quote

In case anyone else has other issues, check that you have obj export plugin on.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: