headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Uv Layout as a uv packer for Mudbox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Uv Layout as a uv packer for Mudbox Reply with quote

Hi

I have bunch of object in Mudbox scene - most of them are mapped - now i want to pack them - but Smile... pipeline looks like this:

- in mudbox - select objects what you want to pack together - step down to the nearest level of detail - export as obj file
- import to uv layout - pack
- and here i have problem - mudbox allows to use "import uv" function but only for one of selected objects so each of packed objects needs to be exported in separate obj in order to import to mudbox properly - practically now i need to import packed file to for ex. 3ds max - export separately

The idea is that i have listed that objects in uv layout on "groups" label - can i export them one by one?

Greets from Poland

zunio Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I read that right, you want to be able to pick an object in UVLayout (from the groups list), and then write just that one object out to an OBJ.

Well you cant currently do that, but it shouldn't be too hard to add. I have a hotkey in my dev version, that I use for debugging, that writes out just the visible polys, so I can pretty that up probably for this.

One question though, would it be useful to have the option to write everything out, but into separate multiple files, one for each group? That way you'd only have to do the one "Save" from UVLayout, then you can pick whichever file/object you want to import when back in Mudbox.

Phil
Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great - few click forward in pipeline Smile Save option sounds great remembering that names of the obj files need to be the same as groups names. But in other situations when I just want to add one model to existing mapping of larger pack of objects (just using free space that i left earlier) there should be also option "save selected group".

Great thanks for feedback!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try and get this into the next release, which isn't too far away hopefully.

Phil
Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another idea which is so obvious but i don't thought about it - import/add object to the project as a separate group
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain your new idea a little more? I dont quite get where you are wanting that function (in UVLayout, or Maya?).

Phil
Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already I have a project - male character - XVII century style - besides of a body there is a few elements of cloth - i to want use about 10 textures (from 1k to 2k)- each one for separate part (ex. shoes, trousers, jacket (chest), jacket (sleeves) etc)

Ealier we've been talking about pipeline of packing/mapping objects using Mudbox in context of hipoly models and exporting groups. At this time i thought about packing shells of a lowpoly object on which i later project detail from hipoly. I want to segregate shell depending from what subobject they came from or what shader later will be used on them. This is a continous process which ends on exporting what you see on my screenshot or ealier rescaling it down to preprare single atlas (more realtime ingame pipeline). What i want to say is that my memory is not perfect and sometimes i want to add an another subobject to my uvlayout project during process of mapping.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic :)

"i want to add an another subobject to my uvlayout project during process of mapping."

OK, so by that do you mean you want to be able to import additional geometry (e.g. you forgot the shoes, so want to be able to load those in), or does the geometry stay the same, but you want to import different group definitions (e.g. the shoes geometry is already loaded, but you forgot to give it a different group naming back in your modeler)?

Phil
Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first option Smile I just want to add new geometry as a new group

ps. sorry for wainting for my respond - little crunch catch me ;]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: