headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Linux toolbox bug (v2.08.01 ia64)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Linux toolbox bug (v2.08.01 ia64) Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Since getting the dongle sorted out, I've been playing on and off when I get chance. I've had a number of segment fault errors, but I've not been able to spot what causes it - trying to redo things isn't always easy. Sad

However, one thing that does happen with fair regularity - although not with any predictability yet - is that when I select a tool section on the toolbar (for example, I just clicked on 'Optimize' a moment ago) to open it up, then everything except the 'Display' section disappears. If I open and close the Display section, then the other sections all re-appear.

This doesn't seem to depend upon any particular type of geometry file being loaded - it happens with the same regularity on a complex file as a simple one. I've also tried a selection of sources for the .obj files: my own creations from Hexagon, Bryce or SketchUp are as problematical as purchased professional .obj files; or other freebie .obj files created with who knows what. I've tried stripped geometry files too where I've edited out everything except the appropriate vectors and vertices etc.

Is there anything I can do to create debug reports for you - there don't appear to be any coredumps left around anywhere.

If you need any more details, please just ask and I'll do what I can (don't worry about being technical with me... trust me I'm a programmer! Laughing)

Kind regards,
Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bug fix note from the v2.07.00 release, which sounds exactly like the problem you're seeing, so is one I thought I'd fixed already ...

- Main GUI window : Most of the controls disappeared if too many
panels where opened at once. Panels will now detach themselves
from the main window if there's not enough room. Affected Linux
and OS X versions only.

Maybe UVLayout isn't working out the size of your desktop properly, so doesn't know when the room runs out, so it isn't triggering the panel detaches by the looks of it. I'll have a look at that code later today ... I'll add some extra debugging to work out what up, plus an override you could use in the meantime to force the right size.

By the way, if its the same bug, you should be able to get it to break without loading any meshes. Just run UVLayout and start opening panels to see what happens.

Phil
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
headus wrote:
By the way, if its the same bug, you should be able to get it to break without loading any meshes. Just run UVLayout and start opening panels to see what happens.

Yup... that did it. I opened a number of panels and suddenly Bang! Shocked

Looks like the screensize isn't being calculated quite right.

Something that might have some baring on the matter: I have a nvidia twinview setup: the main monitor is 1600x1200 and my auxiliary monitor is 1280x1024 (because my second Iiyama back light packed in Crying or Very sad).

Hope that helps,
Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, OK, could be its using the larger of the two screen resolutions for its calculations. Are you running UVLayout on the smaller one?

Phil
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry to disappoint you but I keep my editor open on the small screen: I'm running UVLayout on the larger screen.

Kind regards,
Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt guilty after seeing your new happy smiling avatar, so have made that new debugging version :) You should have just gotten instructions in email.

Phil
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I tend to use that avatar - or one similar - in most places... it was taken on a lovely holiday on the tiny Scottish island of Iona; just about the last proper holiday I've been able to take. It wasn't supposed to instil any feelings of guilt! Laughing

Yes, I've got the message; I'm going to download the new version and I'll get back to you shortly on it. Thanks for that: I'm happy to be able to do something helpful.

Kind regards,
Geoff
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: