headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

odd faces error (Latest version of UV Layout)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: odd faces error (Latest version of UV Layout) Reply with quote

I have imported an object of a character and it seems the problem area is in the collar region of the character's shirt. It computes a result of "23 odd faces".

If I import the .obj with the "clean function" it opens with no errors but it still gives me a blue line around the color and will not allow to cut at that seam.

How can this be fixed? Do i need to rebuild the collar in Maya?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, only just came across this posting ...

"gives me a blue line around the color and will not allow to cut at that seam"

Blue lines indicate a seam/edge in the geometry itself, so there's effectively a UV seam there already. It might even be totally separate geometry (i.e. not joined to the rest of the shirt at any point) and you can easily check this by using Space-MMB in the Ed view to move pieces of mesh about. If they are joined, then it'll all move together, otherwise the separated pieces will be left where they are.

On the topic of "Odd Faces", that's an indication usually of non-manifold edges, where three or more polys are joined along the one edge (ideally there should only ever be 2 polys joined at every edge).

Phil
Les Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Sorry, only just came across this posting ...

"gives me a blue line around the color and will not allow to cut at that seam"

Blue lines indicate a seam/edge in the geometry itself, so there's effectively a UV seam there already. It might even be totally separate geometry (i.e. not joined to the rest of the shirt at any point) and you can easily check this by using Space-MMB in the Ed view to move pieces of mesh about. If they are joined, then it'll all move together, otherwise the separated pieces will be left where they are.

On the topic of "Odd Faces", that's an indication usually of non-manifold edges, where three or more polys are joined along the one edge (ideally there should only ever be 2 polys joined at every edge).

Phil

Thanks for the reply. When i built the collar region of the character, i used non manifold edges. A collar can be tricky!! The good part is I think I'm going to be able to get away with using the non-manifold edges. I noticed that by using space -mmb that the entire collar was already separated and when i bloat-flattened in uv view, the results were not too bad.

Thanks!!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: