headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

alternate send from Maya plug-in for OS X (all versions)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgbeige

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: alternate send from Maya plug-in for OS X (all versions) Reply with quote

I am having problems with the send from Maya MEL script and I never really liked the way the script worked (temp files left behind, flaking out if there is no active project, etc) so I made a simpler version. It's very bare bones (there are no import options, so it's meant for one combined mesh and not subdiv surfaces) but this is how I always work and the script is quick and saves clutter by only having one hard-linked temp file for everything so you don't end up with uvlayout temp objs all over:

http://vimeo.com/27743401

The script will work with Pro or Hobby/Student if you change the path in line 14 in the script.

You will need to assign a temp folder that you're sure won't have any other obj files in it (UV Layout loads any OBJ file it sees there when in plugin mode) in the script. Replace all instances of /Volumes/PATH_TO_CHANGE/uv_layout_cache/ with your relevant path.

The workflow is slightly different from the existing one. Load the script with "GoHeadus", click Send to UVLayout and it will automatically load in UVL. When you want to send to Maya, click Send in UVL but then go to Maya and, with the object selected, click "Retrieve Changes". That also quits UV Layout so it doesn't open another instance if you want to send it back (I don't know how to keep sending back and forth to one open instance). Additionally, the script loads the OBJ Export plugin if it's unloaded.

I'll probably make Windows-compatible additions later.

GoHeadus.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GoHeadus.zip
 Filesize:  1.05 KB
 Downloaded:  1220 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: