headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Repaint tool Awesomeness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhoffman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Repaint tool Awesomeness Reply with quote

So the Repaint tool looks like it will be extremely helpful in our pipeline here - Unfortunately we haven't got the latest update yet so I haven't had a chance to take it through the rounds and test it out. From the training video, however, I assume it only works between identical meshes. I was wondering about how it handles meshes that differ from one another? The time when such a tool would be most handy is when the modelers have changed a mesh by adding spans or scaling something or making some other change that would partially alter the mesh but leave most of it intact. Could there be a way to tell UVLayout which new faces could correspond with faces on the old, different mesh, such that it could still interpolate and repaint? Such a thing would be beautiful...
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I assume it only works between identical meshes."

Correct, but you might still be able to use it.

When geometry is edited, most modeling apps will preserve the existing UVs. Adding an edge loop in the geo should add an equivalent loop into the UVs. Scaling or reshaping parts or all of the mesh shouldn't affect the UVs as all. If done with care, then the original texture map should still match up fairly closely to the modified geometry. You can then load the modified geo into UVLayout, flatten it out, and still repaint that original map.

Phil
tonytrout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Phil, it plugs a hole in my (re)workflow which will be usefull for texture maps. What sort of bit depth can it handle as I was wondering if it would work on 32 bit tiff displacement maps, would you consider a 32 bit exr also as thats generally my preference?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, good question ... I just tested it, and UVLayout reads 32bit tiffs fine, but saves them out as 8bit only. I don't think it'll be too hard to fix.

And yes, I'll have a look at EXR while I'm at it. I added TGA for the last release, and it was fairly painless.

But I should warn you ... I'm only using linear interpolation when resampling the source map. Its OK for color, but may not good enough for displacements.

What build are you using? Win, Lin or OSX?

Phil
tonytrout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi phil, win64. Its not a showstopper for me, but it would save time doing it in Headus. Mudbox has a good workflow already that enables transferring displacement maps between meshes after retopologising or reUVing, but its been missing the ability to transfer texture maps til now after reUVing, so your repaint addition is a great additional feature for me. The linear interpolation you mention for displacement makes it less usefull I guess but I have faith in you doing some magic there Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic will have to wait for another day, but if you want to see what the linear interp does, you can grab a new Win installer from the Support Extras page. This supports 16 and 32 bit output of displacement maps in the repaint.

Important Warning:

I'm in the process of multi-threading the code, so even though on the surface the new update only adds that support for 16/32bit maps, a bunch of things have changed internally. Its possible that a lot of things have been broken, plus the multi-threading doesn't actually work yet either, so only install that new version if you really need the 16/32 bit maps output.

Phil
tonytrout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a good man magic or not. I'll give it a whirl
tonytrout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Some tests on the area Reply with quote

I started a thread over at the area with some repaint tests, looks like 32bit displacement works, especially I think if I followed some of the more accurate methods you show on the video. I used the experimental version you posted.I love Headus, it just works, and even makes UV'ing fun

edit, oops heres the link

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-mudbox/my-tips-tutorials-workflows/transferring-texture-maps/
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and link!

Just be careful with the v2.06 release though ... I've pulled it off the site temporarily because of a fatal error bug in the shell detaching code. I hope to fix that in the next day or two and will have it back up, but in the meantime, save regularly if you're using v2.06!

Phil
tonytrout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, didnt try anything else than a simple reflatten and repack as you can see. Does your repaint algorithm include an edge bleed calculation of you reshell and repaint? Not a biggy in mudbox as its easy to paint over the new seams if necessary.

Also on a tangent ,is it generally more efficient packing to orient major shells to align in U(or V) direction before automatic packing?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Does your repaint algorithm include an edge bleed calculation"

It copies 2 rows of pixels beyond the shell boundary, so if the original texture map had bleed pixels, then they should be carried over. For displacements you may find that 4 or even 8 are needed. Do you know how many pixels of bleed that mudbox puts into its maps?

"more efficient packing to orient major shells... before automatic packing?"

Hmmm, tricky. I'd say it probably depends on the shape and number of shells as to whether the auto packing will benefit from human direction or not. I tend to run the auto first, then decide if some manual rotations of shells would help with a second auto run.

Phil
tonytrout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, mudbox bleeds 7 pixels on a 2K colour map and 14 pixels on a 4K colour map so it looks like they do a proportional adjustment depending what size map you generate. I didnt check displacement maps but I expect its similar
UVguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add my comments here as well.. I have been using UVlayout for a few years now and it is ASTOUNDING to me the quality of the updates and stuff that you give us... pretty much every time I go.. man i wish uvlayout did this, it turns out that if I check your site there is either a new version that dose it or it is in the beta version...

Just amazing as always man. RePaint is seriously a dream come true.

I find it particularly useful on advanced morph targets for facial expressions. And or creating easy to understand paint templates for photoshop.. then you can pack it ubr tight once you have painted and got it approved.

Again.. great stuff, seriously impressed.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: