headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Groups and materials?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Groups and materials? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if a future version of UVLayout will be including other vertex maps in the import and export, such as material groups as well as polygon/part groups?

As it is now you can import an OBJ file that has part groups and material groups within it, but none of that vertex information carries over. So naturally, if you export it, your OBJ no longer has any other vertex maps except for any new UV maps you made.

Now, I know that that can be dealt with by using the Update button and transferring your UVs to your original OBJ and Bob's your uncle, but....

Having part and material data within UVLayout would eliminate the *need* to do that although I'm certainly not suggesting eliminating the Update feature. Hell no, that is an EXCELLENT feature and seems to work flawlessly!

But not having to use it, and being able to retain parts and materials would just be one more cool thing. Smile

Also, it would open the door for even more very useful functionality, such as being able to "select by" part or material. That would be *awesome*.
For example, say I have an OBJ file that I am remapping. It already has part and material groups, but I want to make new UVs for it. So I load it into UVLayout and I can then quickly select, say, the legs, the hands... various materials, and so on, without having to guess which polygons had previously been assigned to what.
And in turn, that would open the door to being able to *assign* parts and materials within UVLayout and be able to export the OBJ with that data within it.
That would be useful because in alot of cases it's easier to select polygons when they're all flattened out and assign material and/or part groupings to them, as opposed to doing it in a 3D program where sometimes it can be more difficult getting at everything.

I don't know if any of this has been suggested before, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, but I figured I'd at least toss my vote out there in any case. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your vote! And yes, it has been suggested before, but its still an excellent idea :-) Its under the "polygroups" heading in the "Wish" list ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=19

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil. Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sneak peak of the upcoming support for groups.

Group names within the imported OBJ file are shown in the list, and you can select one or more names and those polys are 'G' marked in the mesh. From there they can be detached in the normal way.

Other things will probably be added for the final release, but I just got this working today so thought I'd show it off :-)

Phil
Lewi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's looking good. It will definitely save me a preparatory export step in Maya and speed up my workflow in UVLayout. Thanks for sharing.
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that looks GREAT Phil!
When is that going to be available?
Thanks again! Very Happy

EDIT:
I'll be more than happy to test it out if you need testers. Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: