headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

pricing? interface?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bingocaller

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: pricing? interface? Reply with quote

Although nostalgic, Why does the interface look like its from an amiga 500 O/S?(because of the primitive look to the control panel, it reminds me of that freeware software that have spyware and trojans attached to them, but that might just be me)

Doesn't the price put a lot of people off? mostly hobbiests. if your making the maximum amount of money then I cant argue but it just seems you could make more by lowering your costs, as zbrush and mudbox are competitively priced and open to a larger market for doing so.

The traffic in your forums speaks volumes. and googling uvlayout seems slim in results esp. as i cant find any reviews.

regardless of all of this this software is the most fun and productive uv tool i have seen, so congratulations on that part. your videos also support the software very well and i'm sure help in the sales of the software.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: pricing? interface? Reply with quote

"Why does the interface look like its from an amiga 500 O/S?"

Because I wrote my GUI library 15 years ago and haven't changed it yet. One day eventually though I hope to pretty it up a bit with at least some bitmapped buttons.

"Doesn't the price put a lot of people off? "

Probably. If I halve the price and sell three as much, its only 50% more $$$'s but 300% more support work. I'd be answering email all day and not getting any real work done!

"and googling uvlayout seems slim in results esp. as i cant find any reviews."

We've sort of kept a low profile, relying on word of mouth to promote the product.

"regardless of all of this this software is the most fun and productive uv tool i have seen,"

I rest my case :-) By not wasting time developing eye candy, and keeping sales in first gear on purpose, we've been able to put maximum effort into the core functionality.

Phil
bingocaller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do change the interface may i recommened you take a look in the area of the modo interface ,regardless of eyecandy(which it hits the nail on the head) it has a productive aspect, simplistic uncluttered form, customisable and dynamic scaling not to mention professionally expensive. your viewport windows look and work very well by the way although would be nice with a full time status and info bar.

you shouldnt keep a low profile if you can help it, as at the moment you have such a large distance over any competitor,that with the 6 month to 8 month turn around of software like 3d studio max, it wont take long before there integration of better uv tools(which actually autodesk are a bit lazy and instead of competing they just seem to buy up companies. i.e chracterstudio, mentalray, hair plugin, havok, even maya etc. maybe you'll be next Smile ) mark my words if autodesk dont imporove there uv tools to a similar standard in the next 18 months ill eat my hat.

i really hope you do well and Goodluck with it all
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if autodesk dont imporove there uv tools to a similar standard in the next 18 months ill eat my hat. "

I hope its tasty :-) I can't talk for Autodesk of course, but you could very well find they're happy for third party applications/plugins to take up any slack there might be in their own UV editing offerings. Long before UVLayout came onto the scene, people were using roadkill, blender, unfold etc, and that didn't goad Max, Maya or Soft into making significant improvements in their own UV tools.

"i really hope you do well and Goodluck with it all"

Thanks!

Phil
r_knightly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:

I hope its tasty Smile

You never know. Unwrella is max native so it could be snapped up.
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them all.
For as fancy as Maya's UV Texture Editor is, to name one, it's surprisingly incapable when compared to UVLayout. And it seems kind of suspicious when I see people like Digital Tutors using UVLayout for the main UVs in the course of a Maya training video. Wink

But since this thread is about the interface, it looks a little unconventional to be sure, but it's actually really simple and straightforward. Not loaded down with bubblegum icons and all that. But the program simply *works*, and in the end that's all that matters. There's nothing in the interface that can't be cured with a quick dose of RTFM. And you can RT entire FM while having a smoke, and still have time left over to empty the ashtray. Wink

Unlike those other program's UV tools which have pages and pages of documentation that in the end essentially says "Buy something else to do your UVs..."

But they do have pretty icons and I suppose that could be a good selling point. Wink
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy this software.

Hmmm....then again, reminds me of a magazine cover................

Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: