headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Ease of access to user menus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Ease of access to user menus Reply with quote

Hiya, Phil,

Something I noticed, since upgrading to 3DSMax 9...

Max 9 by default (at least on vista) places it's working folders under the current user's documents, now (8 didn't) so this isn't something I'd have thought about before.

The design of Windows' directory structure makes it a bit confusing to navigate to those folders through the normal directory system. In most programs it's actually easier, but that's because they use the Win32 gui file browsers and such, which automagically link to the user's Documents folder up near the top of the list.

If it wouldn't be really hard to add those into the file browser under the whole TK thingy, it would make finding import and export folders way easier when we work in an "open a file" mode rather than drag-to-the-icon mode (I don't even have a desktop icon, but that's 'cause I use YzDock)

Speaking of which, I have a PNG here for you that I made for my dock (since it goes way higher resolution) that anyone else who might use a dock app might want (or it could be converted to a higher res ICO to stick in the app itself, or a shortcut to it, taking advantage of the higher resolutions in Vista.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See attached image ... if you click on the gray "Dir" button, then a standard Windows folder browser will pop up. You can use that to point UVLayout's file browser where you want it to load the files.

Also someone else has just asked for some way to set the default folder when running UVLayout from an icon (i.e. not via drag'n'drop), so read this for discussion and temporary solution ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=590

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the latest update ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=3122#3122

You can now run UVLayout properly via docks or the quick start toolbar; simply move or copy the desktop icon to your preferred location. By setting the new "Home" folder preference, you'll be able to tell UVLayout where the Load and Save first opens up.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: