headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

stacking magnet problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Littlefox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: stacking magnet problem Reply with quote

Oddness in the 'm' key I just found.... working on strands of fringe where I've gotten both front and back stacked and along a straight line with their bottom edge down and all facing forward, but when you weld that bottom center edge then tap 'm' to move it into alignment, it ends up transfering directly under/over its counterpart with the welded edge maching rather than 180 deg rotated with the bottom edge matching and them butt to butt....

Also on my new machine I've just moved over UVLayout to it and am noticing so slow down some commands like cutting in the uv view, or the enter key to split or weld and dropping things from edit to UV, as well as a difficulty in not being able to double tap the s fast enough to get it to take reliably... where as on my old one it was much faster on all of these and you'd frequently accidentally doubletap by having your finger on the key too long ;P.

This is kinda weird cause I went from an Intel, Pentium 4, 3.06 GHz, 2 GB RAM on my old machine with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 on Win XP Home
to an AMD Athalon 64 x2 Dual Core 4800+, 2.41 GHz with 2 GB RAM on my new machine with a Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT on a Win XP Pro.... Shouldn't I be going faster or the same, not slower?
Littlefox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nother small weirdness.....

If you use the snap to perfectly line up a square with the centers and corners bang on, then you symmetrize it.... it comes out slightly tilted/trapazoidal rather than square and symmetric... not sure what's up with that. Happens with average, L or R..... meef
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: stacking magnet problem Reply with quote

Littlefox wrote:
...it ends up transfering directly under/over its counterpart with the welded edge maching rather than 180 deg rotated with the bottom edge matching and them butt to butt....

It could be the poly vertex order thing maybe? I fixed all of that in v1.16, which I hope to upload later this week. You can read about that here ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1122#1122

I can take a look at the file too if you want to email me that one ... or just send a screen shot of the before and after 'm'.

Quote:
Shouldn't I be going faster or the same, not slower?

Is it the same mesh loaded on each system? Anyway, I've done a lot of optimizing of the code over the last couple of weeks, so its the "wait for v1.16" answer again I'm afraid :-) If its still slow after that, I'd be looking at the settings for the nvidia card; there might be some opengl thing you need to tick on, because uvlayout is all opengl based.

Quote:
If you use the snap to perfectly line up a square with the centers and corners bang on, then you symmetrize it.... it comes out slightly tilted/trapazoidal rather than square and symmetric.

Again, I think I might have fixed that one too! I just have to do some final testing, then make the videos, then v1.16 will be ready.

Phil
Littlefox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much.

Yep could be a point order thing, I noticed when I tried it in a different mesh that it wasn't producing the same result, but the strands weren't all perfectly squared up but slightly trapazoided so that may figure in, or be a fluke.... I'll see if I can get back to that stage on the model and reproduce it. It was on the one I sent to you but I had managed to manhandle the shells into place, flip em upsidedown and sideways so they're oriented right and hit m, and they jumped correctly... had them perfectly square and symmetric using the grid so that may or maynot have had something to do with it...

Cool beans will wait for 1.16 eagerly!!! THANKS!!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: