headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Alien Bust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustinbrown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Alien Bust Reply with quote

Everything in this was unwrapped with UVLayout; shown is the color map for the head. I know what you're thinking, I can't believe he put a seam down the middle of the face like that! Well, I played around with many different approaches, but given that he has such a long head, this gave me the cleanest result in the displacement map.

phleg_wip10uv2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.12 KB
 Viewed:  28851 Time(s)

phleg_wip10uv2.jpg

headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"he put a seam down the middle of the face"

Good for you :-) Like you said, it helped with the displacement mapping, and it is completely possible to have "seamless" seams.

Its my understanding that film rez hero characters (e.g. King Kong) have UV seams *everywhere*, and you wouldn't have seen a single one. Because the maps on those characters are of such high detail, they need to be split into multiple tiles for efficiency reasons. If a particular frame only sees Kong's hand for example, the renderer only needs to load the maps for that part of the mesh. A single character could be split over 100 tiles, so that's a lot of UV seams!

Phil
dustinbrown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, you just need to be mindful of what the software and hardware you're working on can handle. On my machine if I try to use more than three or four UV regions I can expect to have problems in 3ds Max. When you consider all the various map types that get used on a rendered character, all at 2k+, that can quickly sponge up all your memory.

-Dustin
r_knightly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustinbrown wrote:
Absolutely, you just need to be mindful of what the software and hardware you're working on can handle. On my machine if I try to use more than three or four UV regions I can expect to have problems in 3ds Max. When you consider all the various map types that get used on a rendered character, all at 2k+, that can quickly sponge up all your memory.

-Dustin

If your having problems with texture memory you might want to take a look at memory mapped textures. Some renderers like Menalray can use these to dynamically load andsections of the textures into memory as they are used, and then unload them as they are finished with. this can save quite a bit of ram.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: