headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Poly and Material Groups..again...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Poly and Material Groups..again... Reply with quote

Hiya Phil,

I don't know if you realize how tremendously helpful it was that you added polygon groups and later material groups (v. 2.06.03a) selection to UV Layout, but it is most excellent and greatly appreciated!

I've been using the hell out of those features and I'll tell you why it's sped up everything for me:
I can now do my modeling (mostly with Lightwave and Modo) and create polygon part or material groups as I model, and then use those parts or materials to make far quicker cuts than I can in UV Layout itself.
It is so much faster in some cases to be able to use selections to detach parts of the mesh where I want the seams, than using the C key to cut my way along. And it's often times considerably easier to see in a modeling program where I want my seams and create those necessary groups as I model.

So again, thank you! Very Happy

And I'm typing this up and posting this here mostly to make other people aware of the usefulness of these quietly implemented features. If anybody finds it a bit tedious at times to do all that manual cutting up of a mesh in certain problem areas, consider making polygon part groups or material groups as you model - you will be glad you did!
Nerd3D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.06.03a, is that a beta version? Mine is 2.06.02 and it says it's current. I'd like to have that mat zone feature.

*Nerd3D hold up large handfuls of hair from trying to cut UV groups in the same place as the material groups.
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to log into your support page and it's under the "Extras" tab on the left, version 2.06.03a.
It's not an official release yet, and Phil said last week he had to clean up some bugs before making it so, but I haven't found whatever bugs he might be talking about.
Those truly are excellent new features. Very Happy
Nerd3D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovy thanks. I didn't know where the bleedin' edge files were. This will save tons of hair.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear its all working OK.

The bugs I mentioned are some outstanding issues with unrelated bits of UVLayout. One is a fatal error that I'm beginning to suspect is a problem with that specific user's system, and the other is a redraw bug on the OS X version.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: