headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

material groups don't show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Selection by material group was added in the latest release (i.e. v2.06.02).

Phil,
Select by polygon groups is there, but material groups don't show up in the Groups list. I noticed that right away, but thought I should check through the options after reading the above, but couldn't find any option for material groups.
By the way, that doesn't change with or without the presence of a .mtl file with the .obj file.
The version I have is definitely 2.02.06.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoSheds wrote:
Select by polygon groups is there, but material groups don't show up in the Groups list.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference! Would you be able to send me a sample OBJ file that has some material groups?

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
TwoSheds wrote:
Select by polygon groups is there, but material groups don't show up in the Groups list.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference! Would you be able to send me a sample OBJ file that has some material groups?

Phil

Sure Phil, no problem. I'll email a few simple test objects to you in a zip file.
Yes, OBJ can hold polygon "part" group data as well as polygon material group data, and the part groups don't have to be the same as the material groups.
For example, you can have a "Head" part for a figure, which as a poly group will show up s "Head" in UVLayout, but which might also have material groups such as Lips, Nostrils, Ears...whatever, as many material groups as you want. And those material groups will all be a pert of the Head, as long as you don't make them separate poly groups.
But UVLayout currently will display only the Head group, and not be able to select any of the material groups within it.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have this working now. There's a new "pre-release" Pro version installer on the uvlayout.com Support Extras page. I need to fix some other unrelated bugs before doing a proper release, but when I do that I'll also be updating the Hobbyist version with this fix.

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Phil, and thanks!

I sent you a long-winded email a little while ago, hoping to explain some of the differences in how some 3D programs view object part groups and material groups.

Now what would be really cool is if UVLayout could select a polygon Part group or a Material group and be able to be used to detach the selection from the mesh for mapping in the same way you select edges to detach. Wink

But I don't expect all that all at once. You've made UVLayout into the best and most fun to use UV mapping program in existence already. And "fun" is not a word I ever attached to UV mapping before buying UVLayout. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"select a polygon Part group or a Material group and be able to ... detach the selection"

But I thought that's what I had done already. If you select the names from the groups lists, those polys get marked (i.e. tagged in green). You can then click on the "Detach Marked Polys" button and they all get separated from the rest of the mesh. You still have to drop and flatten and all of that afterwards though.

Or, if its hard surface stuff (buildings, furniture etc), select the names and click on the Segment tool's "Segment Marked Polys" to detach, drop and flatten all in one go. Currently the Segment tool doesn't work on organic shapes, but I hope to fix that at some point.

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man Phil, I'm sorry. You're right. And it works beautifully!
I tried it only once before and not with the "Detach Marked Polys" button but with the Enter key in the normal way and nothing happened.
I just ASSumed that it wasn't supposed to work that way and didn't try again...
And it works with the Enter key too. I don't know what I did wrong before.

But man, that's HUGE. It works great!
Again, I apologize for not knowing before typing. Embarassed Won't happen again. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"with the Enter key ... and nothing happened"

Could be that the piece of mesh you did that on was already completely detached. Nothing will happen in that case ... it wont offset like polys do when they're normally detached.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: