headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

"C" Selection expansion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: "C" Selection expansion Reply with quote

I was just thinking it would be cool if a future UV Layout added the option for more than 10 edges to be selected with the C key in Edit mode.
Better yet, being able to set it to 1 and then use, say, the keyboard up arrow to keep it expanding would be great.

Also, any plans to multi-thread UV Layout? I've done some unwrapping on some very high poly meshes where I really could have used the extra power for Bloat. Wink

Yeah I know, I still haven't renewed my subscription, so maybe I shouldn't be making suggestions, but I'm planning to once the next version is released. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "C" Selection expansion Reply with quote

" more than 10 edges to be selected with the C key "

Use Shift-C. It selects edges until it find a fork (where its not clear if the edge loop goes left or right). Your idea for a hotkey to expand the selection by one is quite good actually. I'm always a bit cautious about Shift-C'ing myself because you can sometimes spend a while Backspacing the edges you didn't really want.

"Also, any plans to multi-thread UV Layout?"

Definitely. I did do some initial work on that earlier in the year, and multi-threaded the flattening, but wasn't getting as much of a speed up as I think I could. The problem is one of my core data types isn't "thread safe" so I need to re-work that to get the best performance. Stay tuned!

"so maybe I shouldn't be making suggestions"

Being able to make suggestions is a free service. I'm then free to ignore them if I want :-)

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot all about Shift-C, actually. But yeah you're right about backspacing. Wink
I'm glad you like the arrow key idea. I got that idea because Modo allows you to select edges that way. Just select a pair and each time you press one of the arrow keys it expands or contracts one at a time along the loop.

Glad to hear about multi-threading! Yeah, I'm staying tuned, for sure.

Thanks Phil. Very Happy
Cheska23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TwoSheds. I also have the same issue with you. I got the idea now. Thanks Phil You area blessing to us. Smile
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: "C" Selection expansion Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Being able to make suggestions is a free service. I'm then free to ignore them if I want Smile

Phil

Oh man, that was funny. I needed a good chuckle today. Classic. Laughing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: