headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

A couple of Overlap suggestions and a Shift+S thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: A couple of Overlap suggestions and a Shift+S thing Reply with quote

Just a request:
I think it would be great if we could marquee-select a group of UVs and test only that selection for ovelaps. In other words, in the absence of a selection, Overlap tests the whole model, but with a selection present, only the selection gets tested. The usefulness of that gets more apparent as the polygon count of the model being worked on increases.

Also, I would like to see the actual overlapping polygons highlighted, say in red like the way Modo does it, instead of just a circle drawn around the general area. It can be very difficult finding some overlaps sometimes. Again, that pertains more to models with higher poly counts, but hey, we high poly guys deserve a break too. Wink

Also, Shift+S reverses the symmetry. I would like a way to completely disable that key or remap it to something I'm not likely to hit by accident, like ctrl+shift+Pause Break+F4+S. I want to have to sprain my wrist trying to reverse symmetry. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of Overlap suggestions and a Shift+S thing Reply with quote

"marquee-select a group of UVs and test only that selection for ovelaps"

Use the H key. Its not exactly what you want, but the overlap check is only done on visible polys, so hide everything except the region of interest before you run it.

Actually, hiding works for a lot of operations in UVLayout, so if you have large meshes, its going to be your friend :-)

" It can be very difficult finding some overlaps sometimes."

Do you mean its hard to find the circled areas (i.e. they may be small), or its hard to work out what the actual overlap is within the circled area? In case you missed that bit, the blue arrows next to the Overlap button can be used to shift the view focus between overlaps, so that's the answer for the first case.

" or remap it to something I'm not likely to hit by accident "

A hotkey editor is on the wish list ... it'll get done one day!

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of Overlap suggestions and a Shift+S thing Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Yeah I meant it can be "hard to work out what the actual overlap is within the circled area" sometimes, especially in high poly models in areas where the mesh is very dense. I've not yet encountered a situation where I simply couldn't find an overlap after a good bit of dragging vertices around, but some have taken me a good while. Maybe if the edges of the overlapping polygons could be highlighted or color coded?

I'm glad to hear you're planning a hotkey editor!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of Overlap suggestions and a Shift+S thing Reply with quote

"Maybe if the edges of the overlapping polygons could be highlighted or color coded?"

Next time you have one of those tricky to work out overlaps, can you email me a screen shot? Tapping F8 will dump the window into a jpeg file. Its just that on all my test models the overlaps are obvious, so I need to see a complicated one to work out how to help.

"I'm glad to hear you're planning a hotkey editor!"

Don't get too excited ... its been on the wish list for at least a year already :-)

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Next time you have one of those tricky to work out overlaps, can you email me a screen shot? Tapping F8 will dump the window into a jpeg file. Its just that on all my test models the overlaps are obvious, so I need to see a complicated one to work out how to help.

I'll do that next time I run across the situation.
Thanks, Phil. Smile
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, no matter how many times I tweak the points, or bloat and re-flatten the UV shell I can't eliminate that polygon ring of red ?

headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those polys are red because they've been made smaller in the UVs to make them fit into the space available. If you didn't want that stretching, try cutting that seam back another row and weld the red polys back onto the polys that came out of the hole there.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Those polys are red because they've been made smaller in the UVs to make them fit into the space available. If you didn't want that stretching, try cutting that seam back another row and weld the red polys back onto the polys that came out of the hole there.

Phil

Thank you for the tip Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: