headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

CGTalk HMC 19 She-Ra Layouts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
highlander_72

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: CGTalk HMC 19 She-Ra Layouts Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

It's been a while since I last posted something here and I thought its about time for another visit. Smile

Here are some sample layouts with some more or less crude test-renders of something I have been working on in my spare time lately.
This is for my, as of yet still unfinished, entry in the current CGTalk HMC-19 80's Cartoons: She-Ra - Princess Of Power

Body:

Torso Armor:

Tiara/helmet:

I'll post the final, complete character-set later with the final renders, once I've gotten around to complete the whole thing halfway satisfactorily. Wink

If you want to know more about the whole project, follow http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=208&t=735356&page=1&pp=15 to the wip thread on CGTalk. The whole thing is by no means finished yet, but I thought I'd share the layouts here already.

All c&c's are very welcome.

Cheers!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic!

I only had a question about the feathers in the helmet ... are you planning to stack some of those to save texture space?

Phil
highlander_72

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phil!

Not sure about that yet. Is there a quick and painless way to do that on an individual/symmetrical shell basis in UVL? I haven't really looked into the automation options yet, as I usually prefer to do things manually.

Cheers!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there a quick and painless way to do that on an individual/symmetrical shell basis in UVL? "

The "Copy UVS" button is pretty painless; you can use it in a couple of ways.

1) When flattening it can be used to copy the UVs from an already flattened shell over to any unflattened shells with the same topology. This means you can flatten out one feather, get it perfect, then just copy that to all the others.

2) After flattening it can be used to copy uvs between shells that are already laid out, ensuring they're all exactly the same, and they can be stacked at the same time too.

In the current version you select the source shell, and then matching edges on shells you want to copy to. That's fine if you have up to a dozen or so shells, but I'm about to add an auto matching option that'll find all similar shells for you. Its for those situations when you may have tens or hundreds of separate objects that can share UVs.

Phil
highlander_72

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds great. I'll try that next time. Thanks a lot for the info. I guess I generally have to spend some more time exploring UVL. Smile

Cheers!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: