headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Confusion over Licensing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Confusion over Licensing Reply with quote

Hello. Smile

Before I get to the point, a brief introduction:

I just joined this board and this is my first post here. I do alot of modeling and find most programs severely lacking where it comes to UV mapping. In a forum discussion about that very subject I was referred to UV Layout. I've spent many hours watching all of your videos and am *highly* impressed. UV Layout looks like it does exactly what I've always been wanting from a UV mapping program.

OK though, even after reading through several of these licensing posts I'm still kind of confused. Not about the floating ether license - that I know I can't do since I build all my own computers and I have a few networked together. It means none of my hardware is set in stone, since I'm something of a techno-geek. But also, if I have my main machine rendering something or otherwise doing some other tasks I like to be able to switch to another one to continue working on other things. I could see myself wanting to work with UV Layout on my secondary computer while my main one is rendering something for hours. Although I would prefer to use my main box for UV Layout when it's not busy. Because it's faster.

So it looks like the dongle license is the way I want to go, but I have a few questions:

* I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on my main two PeeCees. Would I need a 64 bit driver for the dongle? Is that available, or would I need to run it on a 32 bit Windoze? Possibly even more importantly, are there any issues with the dongle drivers, the UV Layout software and Vista, either 32 or 64 bit?

* Obviously a hardware dongle can't be downloaded. Wink Would I be able to download the program and use it with some sort of temporary license as I wait for the USB dongle to arrive? I'm in the mainland USA and it might take a while to come from Down Under, unless you have a distribution center here somewhere. I would go with FedEx, but... well, 70 bucks or more seems a bit excessive for something as small as a USB dongle. So that goes back to my concern as to whether I could use the product in the interim or if I just have to wait.

* The extra cost for the dongle license is for only the shipping? There is no extra charge for the device itself and costs the same as an ether license? Am I reading that right?

OK now... well, I guess that about covers it.

Cheers!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We no longer sell the Ether licenses, so anything you might have read about those on the forum is out of date. The most up-to-date information about the various purchase options can be found here ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/buy

The USB dongles work find under 64bit Vista, and actually you only need the standard 32bit driver because UVLayout itself is only available as a 32bit executable. We have a 64bit Vista laptop here that we use for testing, so I know for sure everything works fine.

And yes, no matter which shipping option you select (i.e. FedEx or airmail post), you'll be able to use the Pro version while you wait for the dongle to arrive. We can generate a temporary Ether license, so you'd select one of your workstations for that, but once you get the dongle you'll be able to run UVLayout anywhere.

Phil
IMI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Phil. Smile

I'm going to have to wait until January to get it anyway, but am very much looking forward to it.

PS - I love the videos, man - highly informative.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I love the videos"

Thanks :-) Hopefully over the summer holidays here in Oz I'll get around to re-recording the old Beta videos ... some of those are a bit out-of-date, and maybe as much confusing as helpful.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: