headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Symmetry in Hobby/Student Ver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Symmetry in Hobby/Student Ver Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance (I'm downloading the video, very slowly), but is it possible to have symmetry in the non-pro versions? I'm under the impression from the name that 'Symmetry Find' speeds up working with symmetry rather than outright means the ability to use it.

It's a pretty big thing to miss out on, though I absolutely commend you for offering such cheap non-pro licenses.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I regret now that I called it the "Symmetry Find" tool ... should have been something like "Mirror Edit". Essentially it halves the amount of time spent cutting up symmetrical topology meshes by copying edge selects over the mirror line to the other side of the mesh. It also gives you the 'S' hotkey in the UV view which makes flattened shells perfectly symmetrical.

In the non-Professional versions, which don't have this tool, it is still possible to make a flattened shell symmetrical on the boundary. Its the "Symm" button hidden away under the "Stack" panel, and is covered in the v1.11.1 beta video.

"It's a pretty big thing to miss out on"

Yes, sorry about that, but if all of the good stuff was in the Hobbyist version, who would buy the Professional :-) I think there's a pretty good chance though, as I add new things to the Pro version, that eventually the Symmetry Find tool *will* find its way into the Hobbyist version.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: