headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Textures in UV space

View previous topic :: View next topic  
axia777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Textures in UV space Reply with quote

is there any way to view what the textures look like in UV space with out having to constantly shift to 3D view and back again? It would be handy to see how the number grid or checkers are warping in relationship to how the polygons are really shaped on the mesh vs. how I make them in UV space. I often get the polygons to be just green in UV space, with no red or blue, but then on the mesh in tghe 3D view the checkers or number grid texture is warped really badly.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red/green/blue coloring is an indication of difference of area, so its still possible, if you are manipulating individual UVs by hand, to have a green poly thats warped. If you're using the automatic flattening then green polys aren't usually warped.

I think what you asking for is to be able to see the 3D view at that same time as the UVs, so the effect of any hand tweaking can be seen in realtime. Does that sound right? It currently not possible, but is pretty high up on the list of things to do.

Phil
axia777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
The red/green/blue coloring is an indication of difference of area, so its still possible, if you are manipulating individual UVs by hand, to have a green poly thats warped. If you're using the automatic flattening then green polys aren't usually warped.

But if I do use automatic flattening and the poly is still red or green then it is warped, right?

headus wrote:
I think what you asking for is to be able to see the 3D view at that same time as the UVs, so the effect of any hand tweaking can be seen in realtime. Does that sound right? It currently not possible, but is pretty high up on the list of things to do.

Phil

That is close. I was just alluding to being able to see the texture flat on the polys in UV space. But what you are talking about is similar to Maya in being able to see two views at once to compare UV adjustments on the mesh and in UV space. And I correct? Because if so, that would be a powerful way of doing things.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you auto flatten then, as much as it can, UVLayout will make the texture square. The coloring indicates where the applied texture will be stretched/blurred (red) or compressed (blue) ... green is good. If you're taking a curved shape and squashing it down onto a flat plan there has to be some distortion, but UVLayout is trying to minimize the appearance of that by distributing it around evenly.

... being able to see two views at once to compare UV adjustments on the mesh and in UV space ...

Yes, thats the plan. Its the most requested thing left on my list of things to do.

Phil
axia777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
If you auto flatten then, as much as it can, UVLayout will make the texture square. The coloring indicates where the applied texture will be stretched/blurred (red) or compressed (blue) ... green is good. If you're taking a curved shape and squashing it down onto a flat plan there has to be some distortion, but UVLayout is trying to minimize the appearance of that by distributing it around evenly.

Ok, I get it. Then trying to get rid of all of the red or blue is almost impossible on a surface that has curve to it, like a leg or arm. It sems like it is better to let the auto-flatten take care of it and to not sweat there being some red of blue.

headus wrote:
... being able to see two views at once to compare UV adjustments on the mesh and in UV space ...

Yes, thats the plan. Its the most requested thing left on my list of things to do.

Phil

Awesome. I will be buying a license for this program very soon. It is great. You must be an amazing programmer to come up with this stuff.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... better to let the auto-flatten take care of it and to not sweat there being some red of blue.

Yes, pretty much. I wouldn't say don't worry about the reb/blue exactly ... they're a good way to judge if you need more cuts/darts to relieve the "pressure" ... red areas are under high pressure, and adding cuts from the boundary into those areas can let them open out some more to reduce the stretching. But of course, that adds more UV seams ... its left up to you to decide which is more important, fewer seams or less stretching.

I will be buying a license for this program very soon.

Thanks!

Phil
axia777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Phil and thanks for all the help, you rock! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: