headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

3DSMax interface script V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to force the script to open the .OBJ has a polygon object and not a Subdivision .OBJ? The UV's obviously will look fine in UVlayout, but will be messed up when updated in max.
r_knightly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madin wrote:
Is there anyway to force the script to open the .OBJ has a polygon object and not a Subdivision .OBJ? The UV's obviously will look fine in UVlayout, but will be messed up when updated in max.

Im not sure i fully understand what you are asking for. Do you want it to export the mesh without the any smoothing modifiers?
Madin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_knightly wrote:
Madin wrote:

Im not sure i fully understand what you are asking for. Do you want it to export the mesh without the any smoothing modifiers?

Thanks for your reply. When I use your great script to export an editable poly into UVlayout, it assumes that I am importing a subdivision model and opens it for editing has such.
Flattening the UV's and then hitting the button to update the Max models UVUnwrap modifier, will give me a distorted UV.
Note the Tips of the wings especially. I am guessing that this is because I have used 'box' modeling for most of the plane, but used an extruded spline for the wings, and then manually smoothed it.

If I edit then flatten the UV's manually (without using your tool), opening the object has a 'POLY' and not a 'SUBD', and then importing the .OBJ using Max's tools, the results are perfect
So I'm guessing that your tool is opening my Model has a 'SUBD', which is why it gives me an unwrap that looks fine in UVlayout, but crap in Max.

I wanted to know if there was anyway to force your scrip to open an object has a 'POLY'?
or is my problems an artifact of the way the model was constructed?
r_knightly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UVlayout dictates this setting, not the script I just use whatever uvlayout is using. I've updated the script to override UVlayout now, I dont have my Dongle in work with me today so i cant test my changes but re-download the Zip and it should work for you.
Madin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your fast reply, great work!
george

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i just want to ask if this would work on max 2010 thank you
r_knightly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless autodesk have introduced some new bugs into maxscript then it will work fine Smile
Nerd3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be doing something wrong. It all works great till I click "Send" in UVL. UVlayout sends the data to max but I get an object name conflict dialog. Then UVL opens back up with the updated UVs.

If I close the new instance of UVL and then click OK on the Name conflict in MAX it seems to have done it's thing.

Max 9 SP2 32 bit and UVL 2.06.02
l2estudio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. I am using script with max 2010 and works perfectly. Two issues:
1.- When I pick the object and open uvlayout standalone, Ed view is unavailable and all uv´s are unfold by default. For all objects I must return uv´s to Ed view (Shift+d) and the work with unwrap process. Is there any way to get directly the model/s in Ed view to work directly with them?
2.- Same as Nerd3D, conflict name when you Send your scene to max.
Best regard and great work
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there any way to get directly the model/s in Ed view"

Yes. Select "New" in UVLayout's Load Options window.

Phil
r_knightly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To open directly into the ED view uncheck the 'Keep Current UVs' checkbox in uvpipe
Nerd3D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Polygroups and Mat Groups features don't seem to work when using the Max plugin. My guess is that it's because the geometry export doo-dad doesn't export the groups. No materials show up in UVL when you launch from the plugin. Hopefully there's a way to add this feature to the plugin.
project6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems using uvlayout and MAX with some surfaces and thought maybe someone here experienced it and have a solution.

Lately I've been getting more and more NURBS geometry (exported as FBX) for import to MAX. The NURBS software doesn't convert the geomtry to quads and triangles, but ngons when exporting to FBX.

When I import these FBX files in MAX, everything looks great. Also when sending the mesh from MAX to uvlayout, it displays really nice.

However, bringing it back to MAX always results in an OBJ import which causes MAX to analyze and "fix" the OBJ since it contains surfaces with more than 4 corners. MAX doesn't do a great job with this, especially true on trimmed surfaces, and the result is warped and distorted geometry.

I tried the MAX plugin in this thread to see if it would work better, but no luck.

Is anyone here using surfaces like these with MAX/uvlayout who can shed some light on this? Or are you all using triangles/quads?

I like the ngon geometry and would prefer using them for NURBS exported surfaces rather than triangles/quads. (if possible)

Perhaps there is a way to get only the UV coordinates from uvlayout without exporting an entirely new geometry, and somehow replace the UV coords in MAX?

I'm attaching an FBX if you want to reproduce the problem, it's a chamferbox with a hole through it. (import it to MAX, send it to uvlayout and then back to see the problem)

I'm using MAX 2009 btw, maybe MAX 2010 has more options when importing OBJ?

chamferbox_fbx.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  chamferbox_fbx.zip
 Filesize:  53.83 KB
 Downloaded:  2086 Time(s)

mokosan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: no Unwrap modifier Reply with quote

The issue that I mentioned earlier where the object comes in but needs to be rotated 270 degrees along X,...well the mesh also does not have a Unwrap modifier applied to it.

M
mokosan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: "No UV's were received from UVLayout" Reply with quote

Ok I just had the plugin fail again and this is what happened.

I sent it back to Max, it does the usual name conflict/rename then there was an error in max "No UV's were received from UVLayout".
UVLayout had done it's usual refresh however it refreshed back to base with no UV's.

The mesh had come back but was rotated by 90 degrees, it a default colour shader applied..but it did have UV's.

Other than having to apply the appropiate shader, reset the smoothing group and rotate the mesh it is fine. The downside is this happens everyday as I'm doing this most of the day right now.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: