headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

3DSMax interface script V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i like the plugin but im curious what the status is on the new version!
r_knightly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really happening at the moment. If theres any interest I can put together any improvements I've made and merge them into the older version. The new OBJ Loading could be shoehorned into the current version.
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would depend on what max version(s) it would run on.

Honestly there is little reason for anything less than V2009 support (particularly 64 bit/Vista) V2010 is out now as well. I dont see any reason to spend time and effort on V9 or V2008 (in either 32 or 64bit flavors) They are too old and outdated. Not to mention V2008 was a total bug laden pig on Vista64 bit. Trust me on that one. V2009 was way more stable on this platform. I just got my V2010 disk so I have not done much testing with it yet (and the new graphite modeling tools) but the new edge selection stuff looks nice and the directX (9) interface even seems a bit more zippy than in V2009. But only been playing with it a few days thus far.

Anyways, I digress...

My own plugins wont work on V2010 yet anyways so i'll be exporting my obj's into uvlayout from both and then back into V2009 for export into my plugins app (cryexport)

So, I'd be quite happy w v2009 64 bit support Smile
atanguay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see this too...whatever form it's in.

If it transfers back and forth at all, we'd be interested.

Thanks very very much for taking this on. People who share helpful code are modern day saints.
r_knightly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I'll see what I can do. If anyone else is interested please post, it'll motivate me more Smile

But yeah Ill dig out the code and see what I can do, I might also post my problems over on the area forums and see if someone can help.

NB. What I mean by old version is the existing script. So basically replace the obj loading code in the old script and forfeit the stack preservation functionality that I'd worked on. Max scripts dont seem to break between new and old versions of max unless you use a specific command like say max 2010s viewport shading or X view which max 2009 couldnt use.
tjaka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the stack preservation indeed that i would fancy a lot and i hope it works with my 2009/32 ;P
r_knightly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjaka wrote:
it's the stack preservation indeed that i would fancy a lot and i hope it works with my 2009/32 ;P

Scripts are uncompiled so they aren't subject to 32/64bit limitations. its all handled by max.

so basically if i can get it to work then you can use it with max 2009 + depending on the final solution.
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more than happy to beta test if the time comes. I'm currently in the (early) process of editing/mapping many..MANY model assets for a game MOD project. As I said, I use UVLayout exclusively for mapping.

So come on guys. We need more than 2 folks requesting this update! Very Happy
Gogitason

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the update r_knightly. I'm using your original plugin & it works great.

Thank you for your efforts.
clappy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey r_knightly - you would be doing the world a huge favor by updating this plugin for Max 2010. Thanks for all your work to date.
r_knightly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that to say the old plugin isnt working in 2010. I only have 2009 myself cant upgrade because 2010 wont run on my Quad Xeon.

the current plugin should work with 2010. What im doing (just finishing up actually) is improving the work flow. I've bypassed the max export/Importer and have the uvs coming straight into a unwrap_uvw at the top of the stack. I think this is working correctly now. Due to the way i import the uvs they come in on a per face basis so all the faces are disconnected from each other. The UV layout is perfect but its not easy to edit. Im looking at a couple of methods to fix this(welding or hopefully a better way of loading the uvs into unwrap_uvw)
clappy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having no luck in Max 2010 - it sends it to UVLayout fine, but when I try and send it back to Max I get one of two errors:

1) UVLayout can't find a file in the temp directory and closes
2) the geometry sent back to Max has no UV's. It does however have a UVwrapUVW modifier, so the two programs are communicating, just no UV's.

Its works fine in Max 2009, which I also have installed on my machine.

Thanks!
r_knightly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah in that case go into your importer settings (import any mesh) and make sure that the texture coordinates option is checked under the geometry section
r_knightly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've resolved the welding issue now Smile the only problem now is i've noticed a big problem with the uv importing for Quads and ngons.. Triangle meshes work fine but quads are comming in very distorted. There is some disparity between my understanding of obj and the way max and headus do it (read as: i messed up)

oh it never ends. A mate of mine is an experienced programmer so im going to show him my code tomorrow. see if he cant work out what im doing wrong.
clappy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I deleted everything in my AppData temp file and made sure my import settings were the same as in Max 2009 and sweet success! Although the texture coordinates box was already checked in Max 2010, which leads to believe it was deleting the temp file contents which corrected the problem.

Cheers!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: