headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Unwanted export weld.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kattey_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Unwanted export weld. Reply with quote

Greetings.

I had a grouped obj (the cape in this case, which had a separate parts for hood and cloak) and I imported it into UVLayout without any problems as a groups - i.e. separate objects within obj. After I Uvmapped everything I exported it back to obj but groups became welded, joined together in the single object which is completely bad.

And other modelling programs (as Hexagon) seems have some errors with exported obj as well.

Is there some solution for this situation?
Thanks,
Kattey
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the "Update" button instead of the "Save" button. You select the original OBJ file, and UVLayout creates a copy of that with only the UVs modified, preserving all the grouping information.

Phil
Kattey_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It not seems to work, sadly. I checked the updated file and it came welded.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, sorry about that, it should have worked. If you export an OBJ from your modeling program, then load it right back in again, does that work OK? It could be that you need to tick an option in your application to preserve the groups when saving out or loading OBJ files.

Phil
Kattey_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the grouped file from the modelling program into UVLayout and UVLayout is seeing everything right - the separate objects as they should be, so no welding here at import. I had mapped everything and clicked Update against the original file, then I loaded the result of Update back unto UVLayout and it came welded (the setting is unchanged). Besides, the new file is freezing my primal modeling program (Hexagon 2) when I'm trying to import it back to check; the other modelling program (Wings 3D) is showing the welded (single) object with no groups or material settings (which were present in the original file) but with correct UV Map.

I checked all available options to be sure that weld is unchecked everywhere. The transformation is happening in the UVLayout, during the export.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you either post here or email an image of the before and after? I don't think I'm understanding what you mean by "weld" in this case.

Phil
Kattey_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what causing the welding in UV layout - the grouped object must be open as SUBD and not Poly.

Still, I can't open result in the Hexagon as modeller freezes.

Grouped object before welding lookes like this in UVLayout (see picture). In the modeller the groups are actually located very-very close and the border is unnoticable.
Welded object, unlike the one abobe, has no separate parts - they are welded together resulting the loss of the groups.

Also I'm curious - is this possible in UVLayout to seam together the UV maps from different separated groups inside of the one object like in the example above? Usual seaming is not working
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture .. now I know what you mean by welding!

Are you able to email me one of your OBJ files? I did some testing here, creating a couple of objects with blue edged geometry seams like you have, and UVLayout wasn't welding them together. If I can try it on one of your files I should be able to work out whats happening.

... seam together the UV maps from different separated groups ...
No, you cant weld UVs across those blue edges geometry seams.

Phil
Kattey_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I can send a file but I don't know the address - the one in the profile does not seem to allow attachments. I mentioned above that now UV layout seems to export them grouped but the modeller (Hexagon 2) freezes and can't open this updated file.

Well, if there is no function to seam groups together can I ask about one which will allow to seam across blue seams somehow?
It will be extremely useful for making digital skins and clothes textures for Poser as all Poser objects are grouped ones.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: