headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Maya Plugin v2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Maya Plugin v2 Reply with quote

Here's a new version of the interface plugin for Maya, kindly provided by Wolfsong; it allows you to run UVLayout from within Maya, and selected objects can be sent back and forth with the click of one button or hotkey.

How to install it:

First, check that Maya's OBJ export plugin is loaded; you can do this via the "Plugin Manager" (check your Maya documentation for details).

Next, grab the ZIP file below, extract its contents, then put the uvlayout_open.mel script into your maya scripts directory, the XPM files into prefs/icons, and the shelf MEL into prefs/shelves. Typically these directories are here ...
    Windows: C:/Documents and Settings/<your_username>/My Documents/maya/<maya_version>
    Windows 7: C:/Users/<your_username>/Documents/maya/<maya_version>

Linux: $HOME/maya/<maya_version>

OS X: /Users/<your_username>/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/<maya_version>
If installing under Windows, you may also need to edit the uvlayout_open.mel script so that the uvlayout_home function returns the install location of UVLayout. By default its set to "C:/Program Files/headus UVLayout v2 Demo", so if you purchased a Student, Hobbyist or Professional license, you will definitely need to change that. You can do that with Maya's script editor. If you use Notepad to edit the file, make sure you save using ANSI encoding.

Its the same for OS X. The default location is "/Applications/headus-UVLayout-Demo.app", so you will need to change that for the other licenses in uvlayout_open.mel.

You may also want to define a hotkey within Maya that calls the uvlayout_send function; I use Ctrl-U. This saves you from having to click on the Send button or icon. In fact you can kill the interface window, once everything is going, if you define a hotkey to send objects to UVLayout.

How to start it up:

Run Maya, open up the UVLayout shelf, then click on the "Info" icon to open up the plugin interface window. Next, click on the Run button or icon to run UVlayout itself. Finally, select the Load Options, specifically if you're going to be sending across polymeshes or subdiv surfaces (see image below).

How to send objects to UVLayout:

Use the usual Maya actions to select one or more poly objects, or a single subdiv object, then click on the "Send" button or icon. The selected object should then load up in UVLayout after a second or two.

How to get objects back from UVLayout:

When you've finished flattening those objects in UVLayout, click on UVLayout's "Send" button. Then back in Maya just tap the 'x' hotkey; Maya should then load the flattened objects, replacing the ones you originally sent to UVLayout.

How to exit nicely:

When you're done flattening objects, click on the "Stop" button or icon. This will not only kill UVLayout, but it also stops the background script jobs.

Differences between this plugin and my original script:

1) My old script would replace selected objects with those sent across from UVLayout, which destroyed the shader information and other scene graph properties. Wolfsong's new script uses the polyTransfer function to transfer the modified UVs on to the original objects, preserving all this information.

General Maya notes:

- Having problems with the MentalRay Subdivision Approximation node (ccMesh) and UVLayout UVs? Its a bug in Maya. Read this ... http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-653224.html

Phil

maya2.jpg
 Description:
Getting it going.
 Filesize:  79.49 KB
 Viewed:  149389 Time(s)

maya2.jpg

uvlayout_maya_v2_5.zip
 Description:
The UVLayout - Maya interface plugin v2.5

Download
 Filename:  uvlayout_maya_v2_5.zip
 Filesize:  18.68 KB
 Downloaded:  33022 Time(s)

Last edited by headus on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 21 times in total
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to post feedback, and I'll see what I can do about adding new requested features.

I'll take a look at implementing a better system so that the "clear nodes at import" option is no longer needed. It should only cleans up the nodes from the import without any risk to other unused nodes when that is done.
Lewi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, thanks for this Very Happy
vander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maya 8.5 - Win XP 32

1 - The button SEND in the UVLayout Window not work.

2 - // Error: No object matches name: uvlayout_|Alien - After I click SEND in the shelf

My model Alien was renamed to uvlayout__Alien. So I type the key "|" between uvlayout__ and Alien, like this uvlayout__|Alien and in the Attribute Editor the name change to uvlayout___Alien.... and I push SEND in the shelf again, and now it works

Thanks.
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't use "|" in name in Maya. It's used to define node trees and is the reason two objects at different places in the scene can have the same visible name, because under the shell it has another name which is what Maya uses that contain the names of the entire tree path to the object divided by the "|" character.

Tip: In general never use special character in names in any software unless it has a documented special function that you want to use.

EDIT: Or did I misunderstand you?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the same happened to me once ... cant remember the details, but it might have been something to do with the mesh being loaded from an OBJ originally ... Maya added the "|" into the object name.

Phil
Maya_Mana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

sorry, the SEND button doesn't work for me in sending your mesh back to maya ..

using maya 8.5

thankx
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Maya_Mana
Are you talking about when you press the send button in UVLayout? Because the send button int he plugin doesn't sent anything to Maya.

If so, did you quit Maya while working in UVLayout? Maya, and the plugin must be active all the time you're inside UVLayout working on your mesh, just like with plugin v1.2. Each time the plugin is restarted it will start up a new session.
rwijaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have the same problem with Maya_Mana.

and i didn't even close maya. Have the run UV layout correctly executed, but then i select the poly object and then hit send, it doesn;t do anything and it give me this error line.

select -r beak ;
uvlayout_run;
uvlayout_send;
// Error: Could not save file. //

im running maya 8.5 SP1 32Bit XP.

any solution?
Maya_Mana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the object's name , perhaps it has something odd in it's name ....( should not be : < > " or alike )
rwijaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, naming is correct, i know the naming string limitation.

so i guess there is no solution for this then?

I am running Uv layout on a network environment. probably this has something to do with the script?

Edit: NVM, I have figure out the solution. and it works like a charm now. Thx guys Wink
Maya_Mana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helIo

I think the plugin has a little problem with Maya 2008

is there any update for Maya 2008 or that is fine with it...?

thank you in advance
glenonearth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: error sending mesh Reply with quote

// Error: Invalid file type specified: OBJexport //

this error and a duplicated poly object is all i can get out of this plugin.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" // Error: Invalid file type specified: OBJexport // "

Just quickly, to me that sounds like the OBj export plugin isn't loaded. You can do that from Window -> Settings/Preferences -> Plugin Manager, then check that "objExport" is ticked.

Phil
BigErn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I am really wanting to use this to try and cut down the amount of objs etc I`m making etc Smile

I am running Maya 2008 and UV pro 2. ( located here : C:\Program Files\headus UVLayout v2 Professional )

I am not a maya novice by any means but I cant get this thing working. I have the icons/shelves/scripts sorted ( I put the script here :
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\My Documents\maya\2008\scripts )

Nothing happens when I click RUN, or SEND or anything! Confused

has it been updated/tested ok with 2008?

Hope to get it working soon!

Thanks,
Paul
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: