headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Flipping Shells in UV?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Flipping Shells in UV? Reply with quote

I have read the User Guide and viewed the latest tutorial video (viewing all of them is a little difficult with my download speeds)... I appologize if the answer was easily available somewhere, but:

While in the UV window, how do you "flip" a shell along the vertical or horizontal axis? I can get the shell to move, rotate, and scale with the mouse buttons, but would prefer to flip a few of the shells to better fit in limited texture space.

Thank you!
moochie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arrow keys on your keyboard allow you to flip your shell.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much moochie!

Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reading the User Guide you should be able to use Ctrl-F to find/search for a word; depends on the viewer of course, but I know it works with the latest Adobe PDF reader. Anyway, a search for "flip" would have given you your answer, but moochie was pretty quick off the mark with an answer too. Thanks again!

Phil
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah for a lot of people the manual is hard to find.. Wink

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
Kim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did "search" the pdf document (which was found easily, BTW), and maybe I was too quick to ask the question. I'm sorry for troubling you on this forum. The trial of UVLayout is only on one computer, and while I was away in town, I was trying to find the answer to this question on different computer. Impatience may have gotten the best of me, but this program appears to be a Godsend, and yes, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I am working with a 8000 poly organic model as my "test subject" that took me two full days to map by hand before; UVLayout is simply amazing in the amount of time and hassle it appears to save! Smile

Anyway, in the .pdf User Guide, the "flip shell in U" and "flip shell in V" didn't strike me as a basic flip and mirror operation (perhaps because I was looking for more common words like "flip horizontal" and "flip vertical"Wink). Please bear in mind that I'm no expert with 3D modelling, and as such, the language of the industry is still new to me. I am learning.

If I wasted your time, again, I am sorry. Just hoping to give this program a full try before I spend my hard-earned cash on the real thing. So far, it appears to be worth every penny. Cool
Relayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,
I don't think any ill intent was meant. Headus was offering sincere advice and Rich-Art's jab was aimed at Headus, if I'm reading it correctly. Headus offers great support and is the best I've seen at implementing his users suggestions.

Your question wasn't overly simple, by any stretch. You already stated that your DL speeds makes it difficult to watch all of the vids. (I would recommend DLing one a day, in the evening while you sleep maybe, as they are way better than any manual.)

My advise is to ask away. If you think this app. is good now, wait until you get into it more.
moochie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For every person brave enough to ask a simple question with a simple answer, there are probably a dozen people stumped on the same issue but too shy to ask. It's also very difficult (impossible?) for the creator of a program, and its long term users, to be able to take a mental step back and see all the issues from a new-comer's perspective, without input from new-comers. Therefore, apparently 'simple' questions are a vital part of the creative process, as they can point to elements which are not intuitive in a way they were intended to be. I guess this can be a particular issue for such a rapidly developing program like Layout, where commands, tools and work-flows which start out as intuitive become less so as more sophisticated elements shoulder them to one side.

In other words, never stop asking questions! You're sure to be asking on behalf of a lot of other people, and it gives Phil a wider understanding of nascent issues that may affect the way he develops the program .. for the benefit of all of us.

Or something.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry to Kim if I gave the impression I was saying RTFM. The "how to search a PDF" tip was just as much for everyone else reading the forum ... I only discovered it myself fairly recently :-)

Regarding Rich-Art's comment on finding the User Guide, point taken, so I'll see if I can do something about that ... maybe a pop-up message for first-time users telling them where it is.

Phil
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phil I think my post was a bit unclear.
I meant that a lot of people don't want to read a manual, instead of that thy find it easier to post a question on a forum. Even if a quick look in the manual will give the solution.
There is nothing wrong with the way you've implemented the manual.
It is not hard to find as well. At least it is not for me.
Perhaps you could make a message at the end of the installation that tells that the manual is in the www folder of the installation path.
But again, there is nothing wrong how it is at the moment.
Thumbs up....

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then I get a "where is the list of hotkeys?" question, so I gather that some people aren't finding it :-) So now, when you first double-click on the UVLayout desktop icon, it posts a message telling you where the UG is. That'll be in the next release (a minor one sometime this week maybe).

Phil
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're to good Phil. Very Happy

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: