headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Stopping Internal Pin Movement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moochie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Stopping Internal Pin Movement Reply with quote

I'm remapping a model so that textures created for a different model fit on it properly. I realise this goes against the general principle of UVL, which is to create the best possible map ..

Anyway, although the general shape of the two models is similar, the topology is wildy different. I'm splitting bits off the one I'm remapping and laying them over a background pic of the texture template of the other. When I pin around the outside of a piece that fits, and then weld on the next part of the jigsaw, the pins along the joined border don't stay put, but move to an average distance between the welded parts.

I've worked out a couple of ways around this .. (1) split a row of polys off the pinned piece, one or two rows further in, pin those, then rejoin .. that 'further in row' doesn't distort when I make the intended join between the two original pieces, (2) manually move the individual points of the second piece so they're as close as possible to the original pinned points, so the averaging, when welded, has little effect.

However, a way of preventing pinned points from moving whatever happens (Shift+F, welding, whatever) would be wonderful .. for this type of job, at any rate. Cheers.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: