headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

melamkish wish list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melamkish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, great work on this fine program. I found it last month and have finally gotten a chance to really take it for a workout.

I'm working on a high poly jacket with a lot of small and long polys, especially in the seam areas and collar. Here are my requests based on trying to get a good map.

In future versions, continue to keep the old flattening methods available. The current and newer methods can sometimes be too aggressive and twists the uv's all over the place. The old flattening brush has been the best tool here.

The ability to fully span the workspace window across two monitors and a way to zoom faster, perhaps a view selection tool.

First in uv view, the home key just does not zoom close enough. The collar is rolled and extends all the way to the bottom of the jacket becoming very small at the bottom. When zoomed in far enough to see the mesh adequately, the other side of the collar is too far off screen to scroll and when zoomed out far enough to see both ends, too small to compare both sides. The home key helps zoom out, but then re-centering the view and zooming way back in is a lot of mouse movement.

I can only resize the view space a couple inches onto the second monitor (using two 19 inch LCD's). If the window could be resized to cover both monitors it would be very helpful in the above case to minimize all the zooming and movement as well as allowing a greater work area.

Angular snap. I noticed the "A" hotkey added to the latest version. Being able to do angular snapping on both shells and edges would be useful for more precise alignment when trying to stretch an edge (ie edge straightening) along a curved edge.

User selected line color options. I think this has been touched on, but I find the yellow used for the line selection extremely hard to detect at times, especially against the white in 3D view.

Vertical light control. The current horizontal control is very useful, but sometimes getting light into a narrow, deep seam or crevices a bit tricky while trying to rotate the model and get the lighting set to evaluate where to cut.

Dual views. Being able to see two views at the same time would be extremely useful. Although it is very easy to switch back and forth, mark polys, look for compression or stretching, If I could have, say uv view open on one monitor, and 3D view open on the second monitor, updating in real time, I could make adjustments in uv view and see the changes as they are made in the second window.

Comments.

The videos are excellent and very useful. I have watched every one of them several times. Besides learning how to use the tools, the techniques for cutting and assembling a map have been a great learning experience!

Thanks for all the hard work.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I've moved this out to its own topic ... things sort of get lost in the 9+ pages of the general wish list.

melamkish wrote:
In future versions, continue to keep the old flattening methods available.

Will do. I also have some better relaxing tools/brushes planned ... the R, Shift-R and X brushes don't always work as well as they should.

Quote:
First in uv view, the home key just does not zoom close enough.

Yes, currently it just zooms to the bbox of the selected shell. I agree its a bit inconsistent because in the Ed/3D view it zooms based on the bbox of the selected poly. I'm thinking of Ctrl-Home maybe to zoom based on shell bbox (in both 3D and UV), and Home for zoom to poly.

Quote:
I can only resize the view space a couple inches onto the second monitor

OK ... maybe Ive got some window rez limit in there. Whats your graphics card and screen pixel dimensions?

Quote:
angular snapping on both shells and edges would be useful

Not sure what you mean here. Can you draw a diagram?

Quote:
User selected line color options. I think this has been touched on

Yes, its in the main wish list. I wont forget! It just might take a while to get around to that one.

Quote:
Vertical light control.

Hmmm, Ctrl-Shift-LMB used to work to freely move the light around ... I must have broken it at some point! I'll try and get that working again.

Quote:
Being able to see two views at the same time would be extremely useful.

Yes, a few other people have mentioned that one recently too. Its a really good idea too. I've added it to the main wish list!

Thanks for the feedback! I can see most of those getting implemented at one stage or another.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melamkish wrote:
Vertical light control.

If you install v1.17.1, then click'n'drag Ctrl-Shift-LMB will rotate the light source around.

Phil
melamkish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dongle arrived safely. Very Happy

Excellent feedback, Phil.

Quote:
OK ... maybe Ive got some window rez limit in there. Whats your graphics card and screen pixel dimensions?

Both monitors are 1280x1024.

Quote:
angular snapping on both shells and edges would be useful
Not sure what you mean here. Can you draw a diagram?

I'll try to explain again and if that is not clear, I will try to draw up a diagram.
Most modeling/CAD programs have the ability to apply constraints, including constaining line drawing, etc to common angles such as 30 and 45 degrees.. Let's say I have a vertical edge with 10 line segments. I want to lay this line over at say 45 degrees. I select the bottom most point as the anchor point. Select the top most point as the movement point. Apply and the top most point moves to a position that corresponds to rotating the entire edge to exactly 45 degrees from vertical.

Angular snapping on a shell would be more like rotating around a center point, but having it rotate exactly 30 or 45 degrees.

This effect can be approximated with the current edge straightening tool using the procedure outlined above, but moving one of the pins out to get the line to lay over at say exactly 45 degrees is an approximation.

I wouldn't say that angular snapping is a high priority, since with a little work, the same effect can be had with the current tools. But would be a nice addition.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melamkish wrote:
... monitors are 1280x1024.

Oh, thats hardly anything :-) If you're using nVidia at all, have a look at this thread ... http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=94 ... maybe it'll help!

Quote:
Angular snapping on a shell would be more like rotating around a center point, but having it rotate exactly 30 or 45 degrees.

OK, got it! I wont be able to do anything for a few weeks, but at least I know what you mean now. In case you didn't know, UVLayout does horiz and vertical snapping with Ctrl and the arrow keys, so all I have to do is work out some nice way to change the angle from the current 90 degrees.

Phil
3DUniverse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

melamkish wrote:
The current and newer methods can sometimes be too aggressive and twists the uv's all over the place. The old flattening brush has been the best tool here.

Just a comment on this - what I do to compensate the uv twisting, is to scale the shell to really big and then use the flattening tools on selected areas of the shell. Once done, I then scale the shell down until the average distortion is "in the green" again. This works really well for me.

cheers,
Steve
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: