headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Softimage XSI Plugin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghib

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Squid. Good news on the autoGator too, wasn't really expecting anything. was wishful thinking.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Ales Dlabac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Where the mesh reorder happens? Reply with quote

I'm wondering why is the mesh reordered. Is it renumbered in UVLayout or by XSI?
Could someone explain to me? Wouldn't be better use native uvl format for import to XSI? Of course there is not parser for it yet but if this could bypass the GATOR transfer I will do my best to write one.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is it renumbered in UVLayout or by XSI? "

UVLayout shouldn't be doing that, so it might be happening on the XSI side, maybe by your OBJ exporter/importer? I know a while back I had that problem with the Maya OBJ plugin, and had to change a setting.

"Wouldn't be better use native uvl format "

No, because the UVL format is something I might change (and add to quite often), so from a "future proof" point of view, sorting out your OBJ work-flow would be best.

Phil
ewilliams2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to be having a bit of a problem with the XSI add-on myself after installing version 2.x professional. Doesn't work anymore.....bummer!
Guess have to wait until the new add-on is worked out. Must say a word of thanks for a great plugin...really is a Godsend and feel kind of lost without it.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UVLayout v2 installs into a different folder ("Program Files/headus UVLayout v2 Professional" vs "Program Files/headus UVLayout" for the v1 beta release). Maybe the XSI script needs to be changed to account for this? Alternatively, re-install UVLayout v2 into the old folder (ie, un-install v2, then re-install and edit the default install folder name). I haven't tested that though, but if you're missing the plugin function its worth a try.

Phil
ewilliams2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, will give that a try...have tried everything else. My file path is correct to the latest directory change, but no good. Will reinstall to old directory and keep my fingers crossed, thanks.
ewilliams2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get it to work so will just wait patiently. Thanks.
ghib

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ewilliams2,

I came across this problem also after I installed 'headus UVLayout v2 Professional'

My solution to this was to copy everything over from the 'headus UVLayout v2 Professional' folder to 'headus UVLayout' folder.

You also need to make sure that when you call on XSI to Export UV Mesh that you 1st goto your Project Manager and make sure that XSI_SAMPLES is set as your Active Project.

If you do these things everything should work fine.
ghib

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, with the help of a colleague we have discovered that any project created under 'C:\Documents and Settings\' won't work.. so at some point in the process of exporting the temporary obj file the spaces in 'Documents and Settings' will stop the script from working correctly.

I moved my local projects folder to C:\xsi_projects and all is well.

Cheers
etherealink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. I have a problem where hitting EXPORT in the Headus UVTools within XSI will only open UVLayout if my Active Project is set to XSI_SAMPLES. All other projects if set to active will not work with the plugin.. I'm not sure if this is an isolated problem on my end or whether anyone else is experiencing this.

This seems to be a common thing, as far as whether or not you have to have your project set to active I'll test in a moment and comment on, however with my copy of XSI 6.01 if you go to the file menu and export the obj from there everything works fine. It's an extra step but you're going to the menu bar anyway!
AlexanderT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Since Hard edges or Crease values are not exported from XSI - is there any way around? Without hard edges - it's hard to UV complex subdivision objects..
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about XSI, so am only guessing here ... but if there's a way to transfer/copy UVs between objects within XSI, then that's something I'd be trying. Load the OBJ that UVlayout exports, then copy the UVs off of that back on to your edged/creased SUBD object.

Phil
AlexanderT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
I know nothing about XSI, so am only guessing here ... but if there's a way to transfer/copy UVs between objects within XSI, then that's something I'd be trying. Load the OBJ that UVlayout exports, then copy the UVs off of that back on to your edged/creased SUBD object.
Phil

It's the same for any program these days - in order for subdivision to know which edges/polygons are not smooth - you mark them as "hard edges" in XSI, or do "edge weightning" in Cinema 4D, or "smoothing groups" in 3DMAX etc.
When subdivision model is imported without hard edges - details that look like "boxes" now become circles etc. This prevents from making correct subdivision target calculations.
I figured that the only way is to extract subdivision as mesh and UV it as poly object, but since UVlayout can do subdivision calculations - i'm hoping it will be able to import crease values/hard edges too one day. Smile
ghib

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexanderT wrote:
Hello,

Since Hard edges or Crease values are not exported from XSI - is there any way around? Without hard edges - it's hard to UV complex subdivision objects..

If I get your query right then you can use GATOR to transfer the UVs from your newly imported mesh from UVLayout onto the original mesh that has all your hard edge and cluster information. After exporting to UVLayout and you've finished unwrapping just send back to XSI then do these steps:

1. select Original mesh and goto the Clusters and delete any texture coordinates you have applied.
2. goto Headus UVtools and Import
3. keep your original mesh as your selection then goto Model > Property > GATOR
4. If the GATOR properties window doesn't open up the node will be under 'Polygon Mesh'. Then under Transfer Properties > Materials, UVs etc just hit transfer then finally 'Inputs > delete' which will delete your new mesh which you don't need any more.

Using this method will keep all your hard edges or any other nodes you've applied to your original mesh.
AlexanderT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghib wrote:
If I get your query right then you can use GATOR to transfer the UVs from your newly imported mesh from UVLayout onto the original mesh that has all your hard edge and cluster information.

I know, but when you import mesh as Subd into UVlayout -it's hard edges/polygons information is lost and model gets smoothed completely so you're working with a wrong mesh. So when you transfer UVs back to original it won't match.

Edit: I missed XSI option called "smooth when subdividing". Looks like It handless all the calculations for subdivision UVs so i only need to make UVs for poly mesh and let XSI handle the rest.
Thanks guys!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: