headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Crash when changing modes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Crash when changing modes Reply with quote

First let me just say the software is amazing and absolutely worth every penny.

My problem is with this specific model. When I create the seams and go into UV mode everything is fine, but when I try to change back, to say 3d mode, it crashes. I haven't had this problem with any other models. And to make sure I tryed similar things with another model just now without problems. I am exporting out of Maya as .obj with all options off. Is there something with this model that could be causing this? It is pretty low poly count (600 faces) all quads. Is there anything in specific that you can think of that may cause this?

I am sure I can finish the uv mapping without changing modes if I can complete the seam creation without having to go back from the UV mode once in it. But it would be nice to know if there is a solution to this if I encounter it again. Smile

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to email me the OBJ file? The fact that its crashing only on that object suggests to me that its a bug ... something about the topology of that mesh that UVLayout is getting confused about.

Phil
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I sent an email with a link to the problem mesh.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the OBJ! I played with it for a bit, but had no crashes unfortunately. This was with "New" and no clean or weld options selected. And like you said, its low polycount, all nice quads etc.

Give me a moment to reboot to Windows ... I do all my work under Linux, so it might a windows only bug somehow ...

Phil
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The options I have been using when loading it into headus are Poly and New. No other options(the object has no good UVs on it at the moment). I just tried with clean and weld UVs turned on but received the same problem.

This is exactly what I have been doing to get the error.

1. Load with the above options.
2. In edit mode, creating 1 seam from the corner of the mouth, over the head and back around. 1 seam in each eye well. 1 seam along the vertical edge right behind the ear hole. And finally 1 along the bottom of the jaw and along the top of the head on the same piece.
3. Dropping the 7 pieces (which includes the nose which wasn't cut).
4. Finding myself in UV mode but it shows a 3d view of the model with the green seam lines for some odd reason.
5. Now this is where it gets strange. Sometimes I can click the UV mode button once more (even tho it appears to be clicked or down) to enter the UV mode without problems but most of the time when I click it again it just crashes. Another time I tried with the same model I was able to enter UV mode without crashing. The time I was able to enter the 2d UV mode I realized I needed another seam and accidentally clicked the 3d mode button, which caused the crash as well.

So far it seems to be a strange problem. I have tried cutting it into pieces a few different ways. And I am able to change between modes only a couple times at most before crashing. Could this possibly be a problem with my computer? I have UV Mapped much higher resolution models in headus without problems. But could this have something to do with memory? It seems like the crash isn't happening at the exact same time each time, even tho I try the redo the seams and everything in the exact same way.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange ... seems to work fine for me under Windows too. I'm using the latest beta (v1.16.6) uploaded a couple of days ago.

Hmmm, what happens if you save out a UVL file (eg use one of the Tmp buttons), quit and reload. Does it still crash when you switch view modes?

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, try saving the tmp UVL file after step 3 (ie after you've dropped everything, but before you switch views), then kill the 3D window and reload that UVL file and continue working. If it goes screwy, email me the UVL file.

Thanks,

Phil
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried that and the same problem happens. Its not really a huge deal, I can get the model UV mapped with a little luck. I think its just something strange about my computer not liking this model. By the way I am using v1.16.1

Thanks a lot for looking into it for me tho. Smile

Headus is an amazing program. My teacher Kevin Hudson got me into it. He even teaches a day in his Polygon 2 class on using it (class is at Gnomon). You probably already know this, but he is the head modeler for Sony and uses it to save massive amounts of time.

EDIT: I just tried saving the tmp file out directly after dropping them instead of directly after creating the last seam. And it seems to at least allow me to enter UV mode without crashing. Tho if I try to goto 3d mode it crashes. I have a feeling it will work fine for you, it must be a problem with my pc+this specific model.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounding like what I call a stack bug, probably an unset variable, and its just something about your combination of hardware and model thats giving the variable some odd value off the stack. Very hard to duplicate unfortunately, but on the plus side, its rare too because I haven't heard any other reports.

Send me the UVL though if you want and I'll keep trying.

Oh, and yes, I know Kevin ... met him when we visited Gnomon in August!

Phil
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the uvl file. It is directly after dropping it.

While flattening I am getting a strange error. Instead of the actual headus crash message I am getting a windows error. It may have something to do with this other error. Seems to be making it unstable or something.

headus 3D applications core

When I on "click here" to view the error report it shows AppName: cyeat.exe

When viewing the error report contents it says Code : 0xc0000005
Address: 0x00000000004cb808

If I move the error to the side I can continue flattening the UVs. But sadly when I try to save it crashes again.

Thanks
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry about all this ... I tried that UVL on a few different systems and nothing bad happened. One of them was running v1.14 too.

Maybe grab the latest beta and see if that makes any difference. Its worth getting anyway for other bug fixes and added features.

Phil
saken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new version. When loading the temp files that were getting the error I continued to get the windows error. But when I loaded the original OBJ file I no longer got the crash that seemed to be the source of all the problems.

Anyways I got UV mapped now thanks to those great temp files. That is the perfect option for a problematic file like this. A problem like this is a very small price to pay for such a great tool. Thank you very much for all the help. And I see now, first hand, why Kevin said you guys are great.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saken wrote:
But when I loaded the original OBJ file I no longer got the crash.

Interesting! Well, it sounds like its fixed already then ... the version you were using was a month old, so its quite possible I changed something in that time and have since forgotten :-)

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: