headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Current Bug/Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffPalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be nice to have some kind of marking/ruler system. Basicly, the user would make "middle" of the map, and the program would rule out from there. Some kind of snap to ruler or even better, align edge loop to ruler would be nice.

Also a wireframe mode would be nice for some of those overlaping edges.

Man i love this program.
Dodger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first of all, I tried it with a relatively simple transmap-hair model and it worked nicely. That was good.

Then I tried to open up a bug guy made in ZBrush. After loading, it warned me about several odd polygons and that it had removed duplicate vertices, and promptly closed the edit window with no apparent way to reopen it. I tried stripping out the UVs, all sorts of things. It simply will *not* load in 'New' mode, and in edit mode the mesh is making things really unstable.

If you'd like, I can send along copies of this mesh with various UVW sets, plus a blank one, so you can try this and do a stack trace on the closed window.

Anyway, I'm going to try it on a subset of the model hacked out externally, to work on just the face, and then just the body, seeing as I've planned to overlap the maps in the end result anyway. I'll let you know.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's been mentioned before, but symmetry would be a good thing. In two forms:

1) Symmetry while cutting. If the mesh is symmetrical, it would be nice to be able to select a cut edge on one side and have that be mirrored on the other side.

2) Symmetry applied to UVs when relaxing.

On a related note, another sort-of smmetry would be a good thing: If there's a way to make the program analyse the relative distortion levels on both sides of a seam, as well as the edge lengths on both sides of a seam, and adjust them to match, it would make texturing much easier in the long run.

An Undo menu would be another nice feature you might consider.

Finally, an 'edges only' mode would be good. While adjusting the UV edges of something very finely detailed, such as the tips of fingers, to pull the edges out and influence the flattening it's way to easy to grab the wrong vertices. An 'Edges only' mode would let the user select just the edges to spread and not the innards.

Also some bugs I've run across:

1) When you zoom in too far, sometimes things disappear. Sometimes you need to be able to go that close in, though.

2) Sometimes the flatten brush just doens't work, at all. Seems random.

3) Sometimes, when flattening, the shell will start to walk across the page. It only does it a few times and then goes back to normal behaviour.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I won't get flamed by anyone for providing beta feedback.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the move brush just doens't work either.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It loads up in 3D view, but says it's in UV view. To get into UV view I have to click 3D and then UV again
umblefugly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to do that, just click UV once its loaded.
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here the shell alway's walk across the uvmap.
Not a major problem, but I think it is not supposed to go out for a walk.
And indeed sometimes a "shell" just disappear.

But I love uvlayout.

Peace,
Rich-Art. Wink
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be, like most 3d programs, subject to 'Murphy's Vertex Selection Law', being stated as: 'Whenever more than one vertex might be the one the user desired to select, always select the vertex least likely to be the desired one'
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh -- another nice thing would be a simple way to break a single vertex that was miswelved by some other program. I don't see any way to do that, and to break something that's just one welded vertex, I basically have to weld another edge to it and then cut both.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh here's a weird one.

While editing UVs from another program (2 really, a combination of Unwrap UVW in 3DSMax and UVmapper Basic), I hit 'F' on a cluster and it went kapow, streatching vertically up and down over the page so it's all a long vertical line now.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after working all that out, I saved it out, opened it up in UVMapper, and what do you know...

'This object has no UV Texture coordinates. Use Edit->New UVMap to create some'

So I double check the file and what do you know.. not a single vt line in it.

WTF? All that work down the drain.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This indicates to me that an autosave feature would be a big bonus... and it would be good if it checked its work when it saves to make sure it didn't mess up.

3DSMax's Unwrap UVW modifier has the ability to draw an outline and make the UVs conform to inside that outline. Something like that, for mapping things to match existing textures, would also be a good thing.

Also, a relax boundaries thingy, to smooth out UV Boundaries, which it could then be refolded within.

Just tossing out ideas here.

If you want it to be worth every penny of the $350, though, the best feature that could be added would be a 'UV Project' feature, where two objects could be loaded, and the UV Coordinates from the one would be 'projected' onto the other. I have the basic algorithms for how to do this worked out, if you'd like.
umblefugly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the issues you have found have already been discussed in a few other threads Dodger. Some are even going to be worked on if I remember correctly. just read this thread:

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=59

On the zooming in thing, when you get really close just hit the Home key and youll be able to zero in on the section you need to select.

On the missing vt lines, ive never had that happen to me personally, but I think Teyon had that issue as well. Phil is working on that I think.

Tho it doesnt have an autosave feature, it does have an incremental save function in those little buttons at the top of the Interface.

Since using this app Ive had to adjust my workflow a bit when it comes to adding materials too, no biggie.
Ill model it, add all my mat selections, premap it in Bodypaint R2, then export the obj with Riptide. Map it in UVLayout. Reimport it into Bodypaint with the original model and swap UVW tags. Then export the final obj. No loss of work or time that way.Until that feature is added if ever thats what ill have to do.

If you dont want to have issues with your mesh import into UVLayout I suggest you create them as clean as you can.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I just found this threat at the top as a bug report list and figured it was intended at the sole receptacle for beta responses. Whether I'm ever able to afford the program once it's fully released or not, if I am betaing it, I'll beta it properly, is all.

umblefugly wrote:
If you dont want to have issues with your mesh import into UVLayout I suggest you create them as clean as you can.

I do. There was one issue with the bug guy I tried to pull in, in that I'm just getting used to zspheres in Zbrush and hadn't realised that it did this weird crossover thing. However, even after fixing that it wouldn't read in the whole mesh. The layout window closed on opening.

I ended up seperating out sections (head, humanoid upper body, bug lower body) and working on them individually. Each seperate part loaded in, though it lagged a lot on the bug body part, which is the section with the most polys (8 feet with two toes each does that).

The incremental save thing is okay, but an automated save would be better. Most of the people I know are like me, in that it gets hard to remember to save when you're concentrating. 3DSMax's autosave has saved my butt more than once.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: