headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Imported mesh often show flipped polygons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFME2SEE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Imported mesh often show flipped polygons? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here... but not new to Headus UV Layout Smile

I am the author of a game mod called Special Extended Edition, for the old RTS game Battle for Middle Earth. For many years, I have been making new models for the game, using zBrush and Headus UV Master.

I have a reoccurring problem though that is driving me nuts...
As I model in zBrush, and then import my models into UV Layout, I often get flipped polygons (as in purple instead of white). Whenever UV Layout marks problems with dark blue, it's an easy fix, and sometimes that solves this problem. But every now and then I load meshes, without any error indication - but with flipped polygons Confused

What can I do to solve this? Any ideas?

In zBrush I can choose to flip before exporting, but I'd rather find the problem in my mesh instead. As in whatever it is that makes UV Layout flip my whole model inside out Embarassed

I'd be so grateful for some help... Rolling Eyes
Asimov

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Flipped UVs Reply with quote

I noticed this sometimes when I import back into 3ds Max.
Did you solve the problem?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, missed the original post ...

So when UVLayout loads geometry, it only looks at the vertex order (i.e. clockwise or anticlockwise) to work out the facing direction, and ignores the optional normals information that may be included in the OBJ file.

If you're seeing odd flipped triangles in UVLayout, then that's the modeling package writing the mixed up vertex ordering.

UVLayout does have provide the "Clean" option when importing files, but currently that's just fixing up non-manifold edges and other odd geometry, but I never thought to check/fix normals as well because no-one has mentioned the issue before.

I've added it to the list!

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: