headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Shift-S needs to work on closed meshes too

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Shift-S needs to work on closed meshes too Reply with quote

I have a knot which I wanted to texture for a while but was to lazy to do it with my 'other' tools. Using UVLayout revealed one odd behaviour (maybe it's just my 20 minute experience with the tool). When I cut along the length and then a radial cut the entire ring (more a hose) should unwrap into a single recktangular patch. This does not work. I have to cut again at another radial spot so I end up with two hose segments which then, after coaxing it a tad, unwrap into fairly flat patches.

How can I force the shift-S split to happen with only two cuts yielding a single large patch?

Another thing which is not pointed out (as far as I can see Cool ) is that entire edge loops are selected when the capslock key is pressed. First I thought 'goold lord' I have to cut for ages, till I found that by accident Cool.

Lemo
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: unwrapping a ring Reply with quote

lemo wrote:
How can I force the shift-S split to happen with only two cuts yielding a single large patch?

Shift-S cuts in from an existing edge, so yes, if you have a closed loop (eg the equator around a sphere) it wont do anything. It sounds like your ring is probably something like this, so for now anyway, you will need to split it into two pieces.

Quote:
Another thing which is not pointed out (as far as I can see 8-) ) is that entire edge loops are selected when the capslock key is pressed.

Yeah, Shift-C and Shift-W do an extended select ... it wasnt in the hotkey guide, but is now (well, in the one installed with v1.14 which will be uploaded later today).

Phil
lemo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case... IT WORKS. I evaluated a French product which claims to do the same but when I loaded a defective mesh, it actually rebooted my PC. The first and only program which was able to kick XP Pro so hard that it rebooted. Without further hesitation.... I bought UVLayout.

Here is exactly what I was refering to. Variation one does not unwrap, variation two is what has to be done right now. Would be nice to have variation one split. However, it's not a show stopper... Just one seam less.

Another question.... is it possible to assign a different key than ENTER ? Like the 'Q' or 'R' or any other key closer to the 'C' and 'W' keys. I always have to take my hand of the mouse or reach across the keyboard which interrupts the flow.

Cheers
Rainer

PS:My Dongle arrived yesterday! Quick delivery; Thanks!

PPS:...... I am such a retard... I just figured out that I can weld the two segments more than quickly together inthe UV view.... I 'thought' it's only good to 'relax' UV's there. Wheeeeeeee! I leave my comment so other 'noobs' might get an idea out of it...
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemo wrote:
.... is it possible to assign a different key than ENTER ?

Not currently ... but on the wish list is a hotkey editor which would let you assign
just about any key to each of the actions.

Quote:
I just figured out that I can weld the two segments more than quickly together inthe UV view.....

Yep :-) But I agree, it would be nice if you didn't have to. A bunch of people have been asking for a pelt map function, which is basically a "draw the seam and just flatten it all" button, so step one of that would be the Shift-S split being able to cut into the mesh, not just from existing edges.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: