headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

UV tile scale drops after packing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HunkUmbrella

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: UV tile scale drops after packing Reply with quote

I want to make smaller checker tiles on my objects to get a higher quality during texturing in substance painter then.
The problem is: I am scaling tiles so their size fits my needs, but after I pack UV's, they drop to automatic size.
I tried to seperate them in different boxes and lock them, scale change after packing, but it is still not the same scale I scale before packing.
Any help or tips on this?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The problem is: I am scaling tiles so their size fits my needs, but after I pack UV's, they drop to automatic size. "

By default, the packing will rescale shells, but usually for the better ... i.e., if there's empty scape, the shells will get bigger to use up that space, and therefore any applied texture will be higher resolution over the surface.

Without an image its hard to say what you best approach would be, but if you are happy with the current shell scaling and are just packing, for example, to move shells over multiple tiles into a fewer number of tiles, then tick the "Don't Resize Shells" option in the pack tool setting.

Phil
HunkUmbrella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your reply Phil.
I need my checker to get a smaller scale, like on first screenshot.
And if I do scale them, with Don't Resize Shells option on, my UV's are overlapsing packing box like on 2nd screenshot.
So how actually I can scale my checker size and still be able to pack uv's!?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The checker is just for checking distortion ... i.e. if the squares appear square, then you are good.

Don't use the checkers in UVLayout as an indication of resolution, because just by using the '-' and '=' keys, you can scale them up or down.

The checkers are just a visual feedback ... you could have the worst packing (lots of empty space) and get lots of checkers simply with the hotkeys ... making more checkers doesn't make more resolution.

The only way to get more resolution is to minimize empty space, and for that you need to use packing with scaling left on. Turning on rotations will also give you better packing.

Also, if you are packing to a single tile, try "Allow Wrapping". It'll look strange (with shells going outside the UV square) but it'll give you even better packing, which means more resolution in the applied textures.

Phil
HunkUmbrella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you very much Phil for such kind of information here.
I tried to follow this tutorial <<Links blocked until user has been cleared>> (https://youtu.be/bwusznnkRxo?t=5m31s), where he said that resolution is controlled through the size ratio of UV's to polygon face.
And I though I could accomplish this in UVlayout, cause I do all UV work here.
So the only way to accomplish this goal is to pack tiny as I can in UV and then drop back in Maya, and scale it there?
2. BTW if i will unwrap one object by part seperately, could it also help?
Also can I change something in prefernces in UVlayout to change resolution or get better result or something like that?
3. Also I know that to minimize pack space, I can lay uv's of the same part one on another lock them in box and pack. But after flattening process they are differently rotated and has different scale, I manually edit them so they match one another, but maybe there is a faster and easier way!?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: