headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Mesh Topology too broken to load

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bencowellthomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Mesh Topology too broken to load Reply with quote

Hi there,

After spending sometime unwrapping (and saving 'tmp' files before each major operation in case of a crash). I was pretty much done but found that I couldn't tag edges on a couple of unwrapped islands, I tried a few things and had a crash.

However now I can't get back into any of my uvl tmp or autosave files and get the 'Mesh Topology too broken to load' warning. I've tried cleaning or setting uv's to new but I'm pretty sure those options have no effect when loading a uvl file.

Have I most likely lost my work or is there another way ?

I've been using the uvpipe to send meshes over from Max, and so just to be sure I manually exported the same starting mesh into UV Layout as an obj to see if uvpipe had suppressed any topology warnings but all seemed fine.

My concern is understanding why this happened and how to prevent it in the future without saving / closing and reopening constantly to ensure that my file hasn't corrupted.

cheers
ben
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mesh Topology too broken to load Reply with quote

"However now I can't get back into any of my uvl tmp or autosave files and get the 'Mesh Topology too broken to load' warning. I've tried cleaning or setting uv's to new but I'm pretty sure those options have no effect when loading a uvl file."

That's correct, the Clean only kicks in when importing an OBJ, the theory being that once its already loaded and then saved out to UVL, its clean already.

So its sounding like a geometry corruption due to a bug, which is very rare (yours is the first report!), but that doesn't help you of course in this case.

If you are happy to email me a copy of one of your UVL files, I can work out what the corruption is and can get UVLayout to handle that more gracefully when reloading. If that same corruption occurs in the future, you'll then be able to load those saves too.

Phil
bencowellthomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the offer to look at the files. I've sent all the tmps and autosaves over to you via email.

After some investigating I discovered the 'Less strict checking' tickbox in preferences. This allowed me to open the uvl files and make the final tweaks I needed.

But it would be good to know what had caused the problem in the first place.

Also on an unrelated note can I make a feature request that for Windows users we're able to point the autosave and temp folder at a new location ? It'd be really useful and save having to dig through to appdata to find these files.

Many thanks
ben
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I've sent all the tmps and autosaves over to you via email."

Thanks, got 'em! I should be able to work out what the problem is, with the idea being that a patch will fix the loading problem. Fixing what caused the corruption in the first place will be trickier, unless you can replicate it from the original OBJ in a few easily explainable steps.

"After some investigating I discovered the 'Less strict checking' tickbox in preferences."

Interesting ... maybe the answer then is to simply update the error message so that preference is listed as an alternative, or moved out of preferences and into the normal Load options so its more visible.

"... point the autosave and temp folder at a new location ? It'd be really useful and save having to dig through to appdata to find these files."

You shouldn't have to be doing that anyway ... the temp and auto saves should be going into the same folder as the loaded OBJ or UVL. How are you normally launching UVLayout?

Phil
bencowellthomas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"unless you can replicate it from the original OBJ in a few easily explainable steps. "

No sorry, it seems to just occur after 20-30 minutes of editing. The fact that I can't tag edges seems the key to the state changing though. The only time I can guess the software is in this untaggable mode is when it's relaxing shells, so perhaps it's getting stuck in this mode and not coming out it ?

"the temp and auto saves should be going into the same folder as the loaded OBJ or UVL. How are you normally launching UVLayout? "

Ah ha .. this makes sense. I'm using the uvpipe plugin which is probably using my appdata folder as a temp location. I'll repoint this to my working folder and all will be good.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, got the OBJ, and have emailed a couple of questions.

Phil
sav04ka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Smooth groups Reply with quote

hello, can you tell me what settings should i use in OBJ export to keep smooth groups from 3ds max?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normals have been imported/exported automatically since v2.09.01. If its not working for you, then export an OBJ from 3DS, then load it right back in again. If you smooth groups and/or normals are missing, then check your settings in 3DS for OBJ import and export.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: