headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

What if I buy a new PC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karla17

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: What if I buy a new PC? Reply with quote

Hi Smile

I´m thinking about buying this software - but what happens if I buy a new PC?

If I buy a license for one PC - how can I transfer this license to an other PC when I want to have a new PC and maybe sell mine?

I´m not really interested to buy a dongle license - just in case I may buy a new PC in a year or so Wink
umblefugly

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install your old ethernet card into the new computer, or optionally get the 6 month? floating license.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you dont want a dongle, then you can move the "ether" license from PC
to PC by moving the LAN card around if you can. Other than that, when purchasing
you can select 6monthly licenses for the first year, which means that if you buy
a new PC (with new ether id) then I just generate a new license.

Phil
Karla17

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Smile

Let me see if I understood correct... (English is not my native language Wink )

I can choose to get 6 licenses and when I buy a new PC, I just send you an email and you will send me a new activation number for the new PC. I can do this 6 times in one year.

But what happens if I have my PC for one and a half year and then I decide to buy a new PC? The number you told me for my first PC will not work any more and the first year will be over.....

Or did I missunderstood this and I´ll get 6 licenses and can send you 6 times an email and it does not matter when I send you the email (so after 2 years I would also get a new number to reactivate the software on a new PC.)

I´m not asking to get more customer support or new updates after the first year. I read that I would have to pay again (about $100 or so) to have that.

The reason I´m asking is that I really hesitate to buy a software for $175 and after 1 year maybe I have to buy it again - just because my "ether" licence is not working any more on a new PC...

And I really have to say (I said the same to people from Greenworks/XFrog, pixologic/ZBrush too) - this kind of product activation will only give problems to the honest people who are willing to pay for something. I am willing to pay, because I always pay for the software I use. But it will not give the warez people a problem - because for sure they will find a way to steal your software anyway. (Sad but true)
umblefugly

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil said it Razz
Karla17

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think I should have understood what Phil said - I should not have asked twice before spending $175?

I can tell you something in my native language and we will see if you have to ask twice when you are not sure you understood correct. Rolling Eyes
(Not the whole world speak/understand English very well)
umblefugly

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt mean any offense to you, I merely meant that Phil took the words from my mouth Razz

And I have to ask, what does Phil's licensing sceme or the way he chooses to license his application have to do with warez? That just seems like an odd statement.
Ive noticed a few ppl here that like to complain about the way UVLayout is licensed and then talk about warez...kinda does make you wonder.

And to Phil: Ill have a nice informational email for you sometime today, concerning software licensing as far as the beta goes and usage restrictions.(License agreement and usage restrictions as far as using it for commercial/noncommercial use before purchasing).
Karla17

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I missunderstood what you meant Smile I´m sorry!

And no that´s not an odd statement Wink

I´m sure he uses this kind of registration/license to try to make sure people can only install on one PC. To make sure they are not able to "share" the software with others. But that´s not working! Only the honest people who pay for the software will have to ask for a new number when they buy a new PC. The other people stealing anyway. (Maybe I use the wrong words to explain if you don´t understand what I mean. Sorry.)

Ok and this is the reason I have a problem with this kind of license:

I can tell you that I bought a new PC a while ago and we had major problems with it.

First I got the PC - ok had to ask at several companies for new numbers. Had to wait days for the numbers. Got them.

Then the problem with the PC started. We had to formate the HD, install Windows new - XFrog was not working any more - ZBrush was not working any more. Ok I asked for new numbers - got them.

A few days later the new PC made trouble again. Reinstalled windows - asked for new numbers etc.

Finally got a new PC after more trouble - asked for new numbers etc.

You get the idea??? Wink VERY frustrating situation - but Greenworks and Pixologic have no limitation for getting new numbers - but this software has as far as I understood.

And I would have used 4-5 registration numbers during 2-3 weeks for this situation.
umblefugly

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I would have used 4-5 registration numbers during 2-3 weeks for this situation

Not true, your ethernet ID would stay the same so you would still be on your first license. Laughing
Karla17

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - and my ZBrush number "should" also work after such things - but it does not.
And I bet my XFrog number "should" also work (I´m not really sure about that) - and it´s also not working.

You are laughing - but it was very, very frustrating Wink

Last edited by Karla17 on Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The "6" above means 2 licenses a year, of 6 months each.

The Ether ID should remain fixed no matter how many times you re-install
windows, and so the one license would normally work for the one PC, no
need for new licenses every time you reinstall an OS. The license will also work
for the linux version of uvlayout on the same PC, so you can dual-boot if you want.

If you are unsure, buy a dongle license. You can then run UVLayout on any
PC, for ever and ever, without worrying about ether cards and OS versions
etc.

Regarding the whole warez thing, no matter what price I set on UVLayout,
someone will crack the licensing just for the challenge ... All I can hope there
is that people will still buy uvlayout to support the development so that it gets
better.

Phil
Karla17

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining this Phil Smile Maybe I´ll better buy the dongle version.

But now I have to play around a bit more with the software before I decide what to do. I did not work so much with it, just opened a few things I mapped with an other application and tried to remapp it to learn how to use UVLayout
dorkati

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:

Regarding the whole warez thing, no matter what price I set on UVLayout,
someone will crack the licensing just for the challenge ... All I can hope there
is that people will still buy uvlayout to support the development so that it gets
better.

Phil

Phil,

This software is best of the best! Everyone who tried and see what hard work do you make on this, will buy it for legal using!
You are extremly generous to allow us to use it legal in beta period and allow to use it for everyone, not only a small beta team. Everyone have appreciate it and buy if you finish the work. Mostly, because I tried many-many UV maker or 3D program's UV part, but I think even if I have small skill....THIS IS THE BEST!!!!

So don't worry, most of people are good and will buy. I WILL Smile

But still don't know which one Smile There were somewhere another license type, but not for professional. So really need to know if you plan to fix that new ether card thing.

If I will buy ether license, this 6 month thing will help a little, but only when I will buy a new PC in near future?
What about if I buy a new PC (with new LAN) 3 years later?

I hope this ether thing will change, because I think Pro version is better than the hobbyist.

Another...you told, beta status will be over in near future.
But you told same sooner Smile So may I hope you will notice existing users if you will really finish this pre-release period?
I really don't want to miss this, but would be better to buy later (with pre-release price), because free upgrade is only for one years as I know well.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because free upgrade is only for one years as I know well.
Free upgrades will be for 1 year from the release date. That means people who buy now will have more than 1 year of access.

The Ether licensing will go away once UVLayout is released; after that date UVLayout will only be available as the Professional version with a USB dongle, or as the Hobbyist+Student versions with a serial number that you can also use on any PC.

The Professional version will have everything, where the Hobbyist+Student versions wont have the Symmetry Find tool or the full Auto Packing tool once I get that working. The Hobbyist+Student versions will have some of the auto packing functions though.

If you buy the Ether version now you'll get everything in the future Professional version. If you want to move your Ether license to a different PC, you can do that for free for the first year. If you want to have that ability beyond the first year, you'll need to pay the support subscription, which will be $50 per year. If you don't want to have to bother with that, you could upgrade to a dongle license for $125.

Phil
dorkati

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.... Smile

Sorry, just another problem came into my mind. What about if my ether card will go wrong? So I not change PC, only ether card is broken or something else. What is it in this case? Need to do same as if I buy new PC? Or if I send you the broken card you can give a new code ?
Just a theoretical, but possible problem.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: