headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Found 22 odd faces in imported surface..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RemoD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Found 22 odd faces in imported surface.. Reply with quote

hey guys, having a problem when I wanted to import my LP mesh.

how can I fix this ?, tried looking for a "Clean" option but I saw nothing under the LOAD tab.[/img]

*EDIT*

So, I managed to "clean" the mesh. I noticed headus marked these "fixed" faces but when I tried unwrapping I could only drop them polygon by polygon.

[/img]
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could be happening is that your original mesh has non-manifold edges ... this is where three or more polys are joined along the one edge (ideally there should only ever be 2 polys joined at every edge). The "Clean" has gone through and detached some polys to remove those non-manifold edges, and that's what the blue edges indicate (a unconnected edge in the geometry).

If you want to re-connect those polys, then you can either edit the original mesh in your modeling app to remove the bad edges to start with, or save out what UVLayout has made by its cleaning, then load *that* into your modeling app to fix up the geometry before bringing it back into UVLayout.

There is no geometry editing in UVLayout itself ... its a one-trick pony in that respect (it only does UVs) ... so to fix up any geometry problems, you need to use some other modeling application.

Phil
RemoD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the fast reply. The thing is now that I do not know how to fix this in 3ds max/meshlab.

What is causing this in the first place ? I made the decimation (LP) in meshlab so there lies the problem.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I made the decimation (LP) in meshlab so there lies the problem."

Yes, that would be my educated guess. I'm not familiar with either meshlab or 3ds max, so cant be of much help unfortunately. If its a one-off, then I'd be more than happy to run your file through PlyEdit, our own mesh editor, because it would be able to find and fix these defects in no time at all.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: