headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

linux: installation documentation, dongle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
normanstudios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: linux: installation documentation, dongle Reply with quote

Hi

I just spent an hour installing UVLayoutPro and i'm quite bewildered at the lack of documentation.

I took a look at the forums and saw that several others had an issue with the dongle that does not register when not used by root, but most answers were "oh i'll send you an email with the steps to follow".

After blocking a workstation (ubuntu 12.04) for an hour (32b libs fun, unrecognized dongle) and sending the user to her longuest coffee pause ever i had to give up and let her for today use a root elevated uvlayout which you'll be okay is not doable in the long term.

Perhaps would you consider collecting the tips you gave in individual posts into your documentation ?

I'll see when i'll have time to dig around your software during the week but as of now i strongly recommended my CTO to look for alternatives as right now it will soon cost more in in-house-support that it did in buying a licence to see if we want to equip our studio with your software

Grumpily yours
ben deboute
CIO norman studios
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you come across this page?

http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=121

There was a link to it from your uvlayout.com Support Details page, under the Install Instructions list (see image below).

Of course, we realize those instructions may not be exactly correct for all Linux distributions, but unfortunately there are so many variants that we cant have instructions for all of them. We have to assume that someone who has decided to use Linux will be able to work some things out for themselves.

Would you like to trial a floating license? Of course floating licenses have there own set of possible problems when setting up and managing, but maybe it'll be more appropriate for your environment there. If you end up preferring the floating license system, then I'd be happy to do a direct swap of the licenses (i.e. send the dongle back and you can have a single floating license instead).

Phil
normanstudios

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="headus"]Did you come across this page?

<<Links blocked until user has been cleared>>

There was a link to it from your uvlayout.com Support Details page, under the Install Instructions list (see image below).
[/quote]

I did come by this links but before testing this i stumbled upon the last post on dongles upon ubuntu and did not understand if last ed dongles needed or not that /dev stuff (getting rushed, skim reading).

Now that i've done those steps everything works right, thanks and apologies for the grumbling bits
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now that i've done those steps everything works right, thanks"

Excellent, thanks for the update!

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: