headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Resetting a mesh?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Resetting a mesh? Reply with quote

I don't know a better way to describe this, but I'm wondering if there's a way to reset a mesh once it's been sliced up, short of welding it all back together manually.

For example, I have the torso of this figure that I defined the seams on and dropped it into UV space. Now I've decided I want to slice it up differently, however if I drop it back into the Edit window (Shift-D), the green lines defining the seams are still there and all I'm doing is adding to that if I slice it up more.

So basically I'd like to return that torso to the way it was before I sliced it at all. I already have much of this model UV mapped so I'd rather not start all over from scratch, since it took a full day just to do the head. This is a very high res model.

And if there isn't a way to do this already, I'd like to request a feature:
When using Shift-D to put an object or part of an object back into Edit, the user could be confronted by an option window asking if he wants to reset all seams to default state or leave the seams as they are, so you have the option of starting fresh with it or adding to your cuts.

EDIT:
In the Edit window I've tried using the W key to weld it back together, but all that does is make the green lines turn yellow. I would think then that clicking the Untag Edges button should clear it, but it does not.

Thanks. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is Shift-D twice.

The first one (which you're already doing) moves the shells from UV back to Ed space, keeping the seams. The reasoning for keeping the seams is that sometimes a shell gets screwed up or twisted or whatever, and you just want to move it out to the Ed view then drop it back down to the UV view right away to start the flattening afresh.

So once you have your shell or shells back in the Ed space, use Shift-D again to reset it back to the original mesh. You can either Shift-D over individual shells, or aim at empty space, type Shift-D, then stretch a box round the shells you want to reset.

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another thing about UV Layout I didn't know about...

Thanks Phil, that worked perfectly! Very Happy
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UVL has tons of cool functions. Best unwrapper ever.

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: