headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Single object in OBJ file after exporting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Single object in OBJ file after exporting Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having a big problem here: Ive been working in a very complex model and after many hours it's finally done. The problem is that after I export the file as OBJ and try to read it in Softimage, all the objects are merged. The original obj has ~230 objects and that's how I need the exported mesh. I tried exporting it, updating the original OBJ, and the result is the same.

I saved a uvl file as well, and I can see all of the objects in the polygon group section but no matter what i do, it's always exported as a single object in the obj file.

Original obj's size it's ~30 MB, and after I export/update the file, the size goes down to ~14 MB.

If I import the original file into Softimage, it comes as expected, all of the objects are there, but if import either the exported obj or the updated obj, it comes as a single object.

Is there any other thing/tip/trick to try?

Please help Phil, It took me several hours to finish and honestly I really want to avoid having to do it again...

Unfortunately I cant share the model or screenshots in the forum (NDA), but I could send it to you privately.

Thanks in advance,
Orlando.

PS. I hope this is the right section for this post..
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some more info:

If I load the original OBJ in uvlayout and export it, It will export all of the objects as well. But of course, the original mesh has no uvs

I'm using v2.07.00

Orlando.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I just wanted to double check you're using the "Update" button in UVLayout? Select the original OBJ file (the one saved out initially from Soft), and a copy of that is made with UVs added.

Do a test with a smaller scene, half a dozen separate objects, even if they're just cubes that would be enough. If you flatten those out in UVLayout and load that into Soft and they're joined together, you can send me those files (i.e. the original OBJ, and the "Update" one).

My initial thoughts are that the Soft OBJ importer is doing something odd when the object has UVs, but without seeing all of the OBJ files, I cant be 100% sure the blame isn't with UVLayout yet.

Phil
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering Phil,

Quote:
First I just wanted to double check you're using the "Update" button in UVLayout? Select the original OBJ file (the one saved out initially from Soft), and a copy of that is made with UVs added.

Yes, that's the way Im doing it. I usually use a plugin that sends out meshes from softimage to a tmp folder and automatically loads the exported obj in uvlayout. It works flawlessly with either single or multiple objects. and when launched this way, uvlayout has the send button at the top right corner to bring the objects back to softimage. It imports then all the separated objects.

The other method Ive already tried is exporting an obj from soft not using the plugin, but the normal method, and manually launch uvlayout and load the obj. It works as expected as well and after im done with the uvs, just hit the update button and a copy of the original mesh is stored, but cointaning the uvs. If I then import that file to softimage, it works as expected as well.

This is a particular case, where none of the methods described above seem to work. The resulting mesh after exporting is always an obj with the objects merged as a single.

http://www.screencast.com/t/dOgAzdv3

Quote:
My initial thoughts are that the Soft OBJ importer is doing something odd when the object has UVs

I dont think so, because Ive been exporting and importing stuff on a daily basis and everything seems to work. Again, Maybe something got corrupted and it would be great if you can take a look at this... I need to texture those objects asap and I really hope you have an idea of what's going on here.

Thanks again,
Orlando
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is a particular case, where none of the methods described above seem to work."

Ahhh, OK ... when you loaded the mesh into UVLayout initially, did you have to use "Clean" to get it in? That removes odd polygons (i.e. duplicates) and non-manifold edges, but the consequence of that is that the number of polys in the original OBJ is different to the cleaned mesh now loaded in UVLayout, and that sometimes causes the Update to fail.

Yeah, so it sounds like you'll probably need to send me the files so I can fix it for you (original OBJ, UVL and "Update" OBJ). It sounds like they're huge though, so email is probably not best. Do you have a file drop link you can email me, or I can send you our own FTP drop site details.

Phil
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didnt have to clean it. It was imported flawlessly (as usual).

Many thanks, I will email you a link to the files.

Orlando.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: