headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Dropping into UV in wrong projection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmcc93

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Dropping into UV in wrong projection Reply with quote

I am laying out my first character, and when I drop the cut arm into UV space, it comes in in a side view instead of a front view. And the only way to rotate in UV view is clockwise, not 3d.

But I noticed that when I tried the head/face, it comes in correctly, from the front view.

So then I tried the leg, and it came in with a view from underneath, looking up at the sole of the foot.

Is there a way to fix this so it gets dropped into UV view in the projection I want?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've dropped your shells into UV space, you'd normally use Shift-F to begin the flattening. Thing like arms and legs will need a split line drawn up one side, otherwise they wont be able to open up properly.

UVLayout doesn't really work with projections like other UV editors. You can pretty much ignore that initial orientation, because it wont affect the final flattened result. The initial cutting up and placement of seams is the main thing to worry about.

This is the movie (from uvlayout.com/videos) that shows you the steps ...

http://www.headus.com.au/doc/uvlayout-tools/videos/UVLayout-Split-and-Stretch.mov

Phil
kmcc93

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I don't know why I didn't think of that, thank you. Should have realized after I had watched all the vids.

Just another quick question if you don't mind, but when I try to manually move points they always snap to the bottom left of the grid, even though I have all snapping turned off. Is there some option I'm missing?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds like a bug. If all snapping is turned off, then it shouldn't be snapping! You could try unselecting the "Points" option ... see below for what the Snap/Stack window should look like.
digiartman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, you basically have to make sure ALL your Anchor points on EVERY shell to be off by clicking SHIFT+A or CRT+A first!

Then your individual points should move fine, oh and make sure your snpas are off too!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: