headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Hot keys opening apps or folders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fam0314

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Hot keys opening apps or folders Reply with quote

When I use the hotkeys it is opening files and apps that are on my desktop. It opens files that start with the same letter as the hotkey. Has anybody had this problem? I can't figure out what could be happening.

Incase its needed.
Windows 7 64-bit
8gb Ram
ATI Radeon 4300/4500 Series
UVLayout v2.07.00
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have to ask the obvious question first ... when you're typing the hot keys, do you have the mouse pointer over the UVLayout graphics window?

Phil
fam0314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Yes, it happens primarly when I flatten, weld, or using the spacebar.
fam0314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sporadic problem. I don't do it all the time. It seems that it will do it the longer your on a model. I think I may have figured out the problem, but not sure. Have to test the theory a bit more. My monitor took a crap last weekend, so i'm working on our 46" flat screen. I believe I'm stretching the view window out to much to give me more of a work view. The view will go black sometimes when you click on an object. IDK. It may even be a graphic card problem. I'll have to see if there is and update for it.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely could be a driver problem, because if the mouse pointer is over the graphics window, UVLayout should be getting those keyboard events only.

Phil
fam0314

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have an update for my video. I installed the update and it is still doing it, not as much but it's still there. I truly believe that is has something to do with using the tv instead of the monitor. When I run it on a regular monitor it doesn't happen. I just can't wrap my head around what it could be. Any clues?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Display properties somewhere there will be a "Hardware Acceleration" slider. Drag that all the way to the left, click Apply, then run UVLayout and see what happens.

Moving that slider all the way to the left means (I think) that all draw commands bypass the driver and are totally handled by the Windows OS itself. This is slow, but is a good way to check if a problem is driver related or is coming from somewhere else.

Sorry, its not a long-term solution, but if everything works OK with that slider to the left, then it at least confirms what you suspect already ... driver weirdness.

Hmmm, one other thought ... are you running the TV as the primary display? If you have a dual monitor setup, with the TV as the second one, maybe the problems are only on the secondary monitor?

Phil
fam0314

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do as you suggested, but the hardware acceleration is blocked out. After do some research on it I found out that, because the video card and all its settings are controlled by "catalyst control center" it is blocked out and the use can't make general changes. I'm still researching to see if I can adjust within "CCC". I've looked through every setting on it but can't find anything even related to graphic acceleration.

The TV is the only display that is set up since my monitor took a crap.

Being as I don't have a single problem when hooked up to a regular PC monitor and I do when hooked up to the TV. It leads me to believe that the TV driver is the problem. I went to Sony to see if there was an updated driver for it, but there wasn't. So I guess I'm stuck with this for now. If I can manage, I'll try and hook up my wife's webcam and try and get a video of it happening. The only other thing I can think of doing is to everything from the desktop into a single folder for the time being and name to folder with a letter that I don't use in UVLayout. It's just weird that it only happens with this program and not any of my more graphic programs. Maybe because it doesn't have a full screen mode.

I'm not that worried about it. It is annoying but I can live with it. I don't believe it is a program issue, so don't worry about me not liking the program. I believe it is the best mapping application on the market. Thanks for trying to help me out with the problem. It goes a long way knowing that the maker of the program will help when the problem isn't related to their software. I still recommend this app to everyone in this profession.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one other possibility ...

For various reasons, UVLayout is two separate applications; the buttons GUI is one, and the graphics window is the other. Because of this, each has the ability to push keyboard events to the other application so they appear as one (i.e. you don't have to keep clicking the two different window frames to make an window active to accept the keyboard events). So basically, you can do your hot key things in the graphics window, then just move the mouse pointer over the GUI to type something there.

It could be that there's a bug in the "what window is the pointer is over" code, but only when the TV is plugged in. When you type in the graphics window, its working out (incorrectly) that the pointer is over your file view window, and it pushes the keyboard event over to that window.

What I'll do is add an option somewhere so you can temporarily turn off the "event push" code, and then we see if it makes any difference. If it does, then maybe I can fine-tune the code so it only pushes to other UVLayout windows, or maybe you'll find you can happily live without the event push code anyway.

I'll let you know when the new download is ready (hopefully later today).

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, its ready ... go to the uvlayout.com Support Extras page and grab and install v2.07.02. Run UVLayout, click on "About UVLayout" and then open up the Preferences GUI section. Untick "Keyboard Event Push" and load your mesh and see if it makes any difference to the weirdness.

Phil
fam0314

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try a little later when I'm finished modeling.
fam0314

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like it worked. I tried to recreate it, but couldn't. I'll let you know if it does it again. Again thank you very much!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! OK, I'll leave that preference in there for now, but will modify the event push code so it only sends to other UVLayout windows.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: