headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

How to keep groups/materials intact?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: How to keep groups/materials intact? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity... is there any ETA on when UVL will keep groups and materials intact?

One of the only drawbacks is this discarding of materials and groups (and the inability to do things using them as 'filters').

While I can always write a perlscript to apply the UVWs thus laid-out to a fully grouped and materialed mesh, most people are going to have to revert to using something else to import UVWs onto their grouped-and-materialed object (that or, as I often do, make the basic mesh and map it *before* any materials and groups are set).

In most cases this is going to mean they're using UVMapper also (to export-and-then-import UVs). Which seems kinda redundant.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ETA on g, usemtl? Reply with quote

Dodger wrote:
Just out of curiosity... is there any ETA on when UVL will keep groups and materials intact?

It aleady does if you have the original OBJ still that got loaded into UVLayout,
and then use the Update button; this reads in that original file, and saves a copy
with only the UV values changed ... all the groups and materials in that original
OBJ file will be preserved.

Phil
Dodger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ETA on g, usemtl? Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Dodger wrote:

It aleady does if you have the original OBJ still that got loaded into UVLayout,
and then use the Update button; this reads in that original file, and saves a copy
with only the UV values changed ... all the groups and materials in that original
OBJ file will be preserved.

Phil

I suppose I can copy over the file to be updated. I just get nervous about overwriting a stage totally.
Xena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use UVMapper at all, just the update function instead of save. Obj imports back into both Poser and Silo without issue AND it leaves my original obj intact in case I need it in the future.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's no need to worry, the Update button won't overwrite your original OBJ. It makes
a copy with a new name ... for example, fish.obj will be "updated" to fish-uvlayout.obj.

Phil
esha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray! That comes in handy. Very Happy
I've just had to rework a mesh that was already grouped, I would hate to lose all the groups. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for this useful thread Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: