headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Arranging and Overlaying hair strips ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TripleM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Arranging and Overlaying hair strips ? Reply with quote

- I wanna import lots of hair strips made in Zbrush and then arrange and overlay them for texturing how am i supposed to do that in UVLayout, could you tell me a step by step way to do it please ?

Note: The strips lengths and sizes do not match, but i still want them to stack over one place

- Also if the strips length is not the same for every single strip, how am i supposed to texture it since it varies ? .. they are made one by one using a hair strips brush, and not by duplicating a single hair strip which has a single UV ( in this case scaling and moving the strip wont affect the UV and the texture would just stretch or shrink ).. hopefully you get what i meant since my English is not good and i find it hard to express myself.

Thanks Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... hair strips ... arrange and overlay them"

Depending on how similar the geometry of each strip is, you can use the Snap/Stack/Sort tool for that. Go to the "Old Beta" videos page here ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=100

... and look for the "UVLayout-Beta-v1.16A" one. It starts off by showing you how to make a strip rectangular, but that's an old method; the R/Shift-R hotkey will do that now with one key tap.

"Also if the strips length is not the same for every single strip"

If you make them all the same length in UV, then yes, the texture will be compressed on the shorter strips. You may not want this though, so have a look at the Rescale tool ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/doc/Example:_Rescale

That will allow you to keep them all the same width while adjusting the length to suit the actual geometry length.

One of our longtime UVLayout users has made a series of videos showing her workflow for creating hair and clothing, and I found this one specifically on hair modeling (and UV'ing) ...

http://www.runtimedna.com/Modeling-with-Littlefox-4-Hair-Modeling.html

Phil
DavideBianchini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful info. Thanks for posting it.

One quick question: If there is a cut in the strips (as shown in attached image), is it possible to weld them all at the same time?

Thanks again,

Davide
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: