headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Generate Texture Template?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLSprouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Generate Texture Template? Reply with quote

Hi all:

I have had UVLayout for a few years, and I have maintained the support license, but I've never really learned to use it.

Now I am trying to learn how to make texture presets for clothing items to use in DAZ Studio, and I am wondering if UVLayout is a useful tool to generate a "template" for existing clothing items. Some clothing comes with templates provided, but many do not. I have seen a tutorial showing how to manually create a template in Photoshop, derived from an existing texture file, such as a bump map file for the clothing item. I was hoping UVLayout can make the process easier.

Any guidance or suggestions?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Professional version of UVLayout has the Copy UVs tool. You can use that to copy UVs between objects with the same or mostly similar topology. By "topology" I mean the same number and arrangement of polygons.

For example, if you have a bump map and UVs worked out for a collared shirt, you could use the Copy UVs tool to copy those UVs onto another shirt, without a collar, if the rest of the geometry was the same.

Go here ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=98

... and look for the "UVLayout-Copy-UVs-4" movie download, as its the one that demos the copying UVs between partially matching meshes.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: