headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

main tool panel closes / crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokosan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: main tool panel closes / crash Reply with quote

Hello,

This is a crash bug that has been around for a while..
The main tool panel closes, and you are left with the main viewer windows, you can continue to view and work, but there is no way to save.

Would it be possible to add an option to save from here? Perhaps a hotkey to save a .uvl to your temp directory??

I get this comment/complaint at work fairly regularly, just had it happen again to me.

What about a crash save, maya does this. When it crashes it saves a file (something like this: 205432.crash.tmp.ma) into your temp directory.

Cheers,
Michael
Boonta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh im getting alot of crashes recently . i noticed i would lock some shells then do a pack and it would crash right away

rotate 10 degrees set.
10 minutes run time
1k setting
9 bleed

i seem to be getting the same issue in that the window crashes but the tool panel stays open. a fix for this would be ideal not a pre save workaround as mentioned above.

edit: i just noteiced there is a update to 2.06 . so far this seems to have stopped the crash that was getting on the same file pre update.

Edit2: i spoke to soon. just got a crash. seemed to happen when rotate was set to 5 degrees.

eidt3: just crashed on 10 degrees rotation with no locked shells... a basic pack.

ughh
mokosan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: main tool panel closes / crashing frequently Reply with quote

Hey Phil,
This is becoming a real problem for us. We have some artists continuing to work not knowing that the tool window has closed, so they end up fully uving something then realizing its all for nothing.

Could we please have an update that allows us to save the .uvl scene from the other GUI? (right click - tmp save)

As it is, I may have to ask tech to roll us back to the previous version which was more stable.

Cheers,
Michael
Boonta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to roll back as well. This needs to be addressed. its been present for months now with no response from the devs.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I've fixed everything now covered by this topic, and you'll find some new installers on the Support Extras page. If your support has expired, but you still want to test the changes, the current Demo version has the new code too; you can run that in the Pro Trail mode to check the fixes.

- found and fixed a fatal error bug in the packing when rotates are turned on.

- found and fixed a fatal error bug in the overlap checking tool.

- I couldn't get the main GUI window to crash out here, so still dont know what that bug is, but have added the '>' hotkey (i.e. Shift and '.') to trigger an auto-save of the current scene from the viewer window. If you're running in plugin mode, then the saved UVL will be in the Maya transfer folder.

Phil
Boonta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this.

there appears to be a slight display bug when you hit space bar to stop a "ctrl+f" unwrap in the new 07a build.

hitting spacebar will stop the unwrap but leave a progress bar in the view-port until you move/pan the display.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have "Show Coverage" turn on? I think that's where the pacifier must be coming from, because there wouldn't be one normally if you're just flattening.

Anyway, assuming it *is* coming from the coverage calculations, I've now made that go away. Plus it only updates once you've let go of the F key, so it should be a bit quicker too. This fix will be in the next upload.

Phil
Boonta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i've been testing this build a bit more today. the crashing still persists. I can trigger it by locking some shells and running a pack. See settings on left and note the two shells locked at the bottom. After running for about 2 seconds of the 10 second pack it locks up.

on further testing it kinda feels like the combination of "MID" quality and "10 Degrees" rotation would trigger this crash more frequently than other settings. along with some locked shells usually. ok "best" and "15" with locked shells just crashed.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed crash report! It turns out its the shell locking combined with the rotations that's the problem.

This used to work fine, but the new multi-cpu threaded code is the culprit I suspect. I've found and fixed a few potential problem bits of code, but its still crashing out, so still more to find!

There is a work-around though ... go to the Preferences and set the "Free CPI Cores" to a number greater than the number of actual CPU cores you have available. That will force the packing then to use just one thread ... it'll be slower, but after doing that I didn't get any crashes in my testing here.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded a new Windows build installer to the Support Extras page ... its not a complete fix, but automatically switches to single threaded mode when locked shells are detected.

This means you can leave your "Free CPU Cores" setting alone, and all cores will be used (for faster packing) when there's no locked shells. Its a temporary workaround until I find and fix the real problem.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think I've fixed the real problem now with the locked shells, plus I found and fixed a bug that caused a rare fatal error in the rotation packing without locked shells.

There's new installers for Windows and Linux on the Support Extras page.

Phil
Boonta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ill give it a spin!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: