headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Maya LT support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boonta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Maya LT support Reply with quote

hey would it be possible to get the Headus Maya scripts working for Maya LT?

i get the current error when trying to use it

// Error: file: C:/Users/Default/Documents/maya/2015LT/prefs/scripts/uvlayout_open.mel line 238: The "system" command is not supported by Maya LT.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Maya LT support Reply with quote

"The "system" command is not supported by Maya LT"

If that's missing, I wonder what else might be disabled too that will break the plugin script?

Anyway, if you are happy editing MEL files, this might work. Edit uvlayout_open.mel and change the "system" command so it just prints out the command and args. Actually you could just cut'n'paste the "print" command from the debugging code a few lines above. When you then try to Run the plugin, it'll display the full command in the script window without actually doing anything.

You should then be able to copy that command and open up a Windows command terminal window and paste that in to start UVLayout up with the right command line args. Actually, before pasting the command, you will most likely have to change directory to the temp folder that the plugin creates. Add a "print $uvlayout_dir;" to the MEL script so you know where that is as well.

I googled and see that fopen "w" is disabled too in LT, which means that UVLayout wont be killed automatically when you run the plugin stop command, but you can kill it from the main GUI easily enough.

Phil
Boonta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, ill give that a shot!

Autodesk did say they might try and figure out a way around this lack of System with LT in the future. So fingers crossed they relax the restrictions a bit.....
Boonta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a crack at getting this to work but wasn't successful. I think I ran into an issue getting the temp directory to display.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this came back on my radar recently after someone else requested it ... I didn't realize that LT was still knobbled with no system() call.

My original fix idea was to write out a BAT file to the desktop for the user to execute, then I discovered that there's no fopen write support either.

Anyway, I've managed to get it working ... sort of ... with a pop-up dialog that you then cut'n'paste into a Windows Command Prompt window. A bit ugly, but once that's done, the plugin looks like its working fine in my quick testing.

There's also a couple of side-effects of the missing fopen write:

- UVLayout doesn't quit automatically when you use the Stop shelf icon in Maya.

- The plugin normally auto-detects whether the mesh being sent is a Poly or SUBD surfaces and tells UVLayout to load it accordingly, but you'll have to manually set the Import options in UVLayout before you send the mesh over.

The fixed MEL script will be in the UVLayout releases from now on, but if you want to try it out now, grab the file below and replace the uvlayout_open.mel file you already have installed.

Phil
Boonta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome ill test this out in the next few days!

autodesk :/

edit:

this works pretty nicely! Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: