headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

The problems with Headus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asimov

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: The problems with Headus Reply with quote

I have to say that I wanted to try out uvlayout because I have heard a lot of good things about it from my friend.
I have a rather complex model to unwrap, and even though I am adept at unwrapping in 3ds max I thought I would go to my
friends house and try out his copy of uvlayout.

At first I was impressed with uvlayout, but quickly I have became disappointed.

First I tried it with a couple of small models and it seemed to work ok.
I used the uvpipe script by miauu downloaded from here with 3ds max 2015.

So then I thought I would try it with my complex model. My model is in two parts. The body is 34000 polys and the one arm is 90000 polys.

So I unwrapped the body in uvlayout.
I found a problem with the plugin straight away. The problem was this. If you can't unwrap you model in one sitting, when you shut it down and load it back up again, the send button disappears.

I am not sure if I did the right thing but what I did was this. I started up 3ds max and then sent the model back to uvlayout and then in uvlayout loaded in the saved uvl file. I am not sure if this was the right way, but it was the only way that seemed to work.

This is where things started to go wrong. After completing the unwrap of my 34000 poly model I hit the send button.
It went into 3ds max fine. And when I looked at the uvs they were fine, until I stuck a checkerboard pattern on my model. All the uvs were stretched all over the place, it was a mess. Yet in uvlayout the uvs were fine. Also when I look at the uvs in max they look identical to what was in uvlayout.

So in the end I exported my model from uvlayout as an obj, and imported that into max. The uvs were fine and the checkerboard pattern was fine. So why is the plugin screwing up my uvs? However when I imported the obj into max my axis was around the wrong way. The model came in lying on it's back.

Ok here comes the real big disappointment. The other part of my model is 90000 polys. I tried to send to uvlayout using the plugin and an undefined error comes up and it doesn't work.

So I tried exporting my model to obj and loading it into uvlayout. I get an error "headus 3D applications core has stopped working", and so I cannot load my model into headus.

I think headus would be great for game models, but it totally sucks for high poly models, and yet in 3D Coat which I also use, I can load in models with millions of polys. I think the biggest model I have loaded into 3D Coat was 10million polys.

The only thing headus can do that 3d Coat cannot do is to move things out of the way while unwrapping. I think this is an excellent feature.

I would really love to buy headus, but the fact that you cannot unwrap high poly models is stopping me from doing so.

Is there going to be a 64bit version of headus at all? and why can't it load higher poly models?

I finally got my robot body unwrapped, but I will have to use the old fashioned 3ds max way to unwrap the arm, as I can't load it into headus.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The other part of my model is 90000 polys. I tried to send to uvlayout using the plugin and an undefined error comes up and it doesn't work"

Have you tried exporting your model to an OBJ file, then run UVLayout stand-alone and load in the OBJ? The 32bit builds do have a poly limit, but 90k should still be fine, so the problem might be in the plugin transfer process.

Phil
Asimov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

This is wierd. The crash I got was when I was loading in the obj directly, and it kept crashing. However I tried it today and it loaded in.

I have changed the export obj to maya in 3ds max 2015, which might have made a difference.

The headus exporters seem very hit and miss.
I have tried the HamLT one and the miauu and they send to uvlayout, but when you hit the send button the uvs look fine in max but the textures are all stretched and horrible.

The only script I got to work is an old one by R. Knightly. Now this works if the model is under 5000 polys but don't seem to work over that.

Can you suggest a better script? I have tried a couple.

If I buy the student version of headus and the license expires, does that mean you can't use it anymore?

After importing one of my models it told me that it had removed duplicate polygons. How does it consider a polygon to be a duplicate.

Thanks for the response.
I have also tried unfold3D but uvlayout is better in my opinion.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can you suggest a better script?"

We dont use 3DS Max ourselves, so unfortunately dont know what is best and haven't developed a plugin ourselves.

"If I buy the student version of headus and the license expires, does that mean you can't use it anymore?"

That's correct. The Hobbyist version is the one with the permanent license key.

"After importing one of my models it told me that it had removed duplicate polygons. How does it consider a polygon to be a duplicate."

That's 2 or more polygons with exactly the same vertexes.

Phil
mokosan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: break it down Reply with quote

I would suggest working on smaller chunks of the model over trying to send larger sections.

I always recommend people work on smaller chunks unless there is something that really needs to be packed together, which is unlikely. Even with a full character, not one mesh such as the face should need to be larger than 100,00 polys, unless your working on some crazy film character, in which case you would be looking at alternative ways to approach that task.

Everything works faster on smaller chunks, every time you send that chunk back and save, you are making progress rather than fighting with a larger chunk.

I unwrap some pretty heavy assets and am able to get through the whole task, while maintaining the same resolution across the asset. It more about your work process than the programs limitations.

One tip when loading high poly assets, try hiding sections of the model to speed things up, same for the UVs, Once they are unwrapped, hide them and continue unwrapping into the next udim.

Sounds like the 3dsmax plugin is not working for you.

p.s. I use the 64 bit Linux version (Maya to UVLayout) which can load assets up to 150k no problem. And now I expect to be able to edit larger assets now that the shell limitation has been raised from 10k to 30k.

M
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: