headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Repainting Multiple Tiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokosan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Repainting Multiple Tiles Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I was testing out the Repainting Multiple Tiles feature today.
I have read the docs a couple of times and had some success with a couple basic tests but we seem to be having trouble doing the following.

Example 1:
I have a model with 15 UDIMS, 1001-1015. If I pack the UVs into one udim, will it repack the textures from maps 1001-1015, into a new texture 1001?

Example 2:
I have a model with UVs and textures that span over two udims (1001-1002).
I have updated the model so that the UVS are layed out over 4 udims.
The UVs have stayed the same scale/rotation, I just moved some the UVs to udims to 1003-1004.

Will UVLayout move the textures from the UVs that were in map/udim 1001 & 1002, and put the textures into maps 1003 & 1004? I am unsure if you need to create texture 1003-1004 before starting the process.

Cheers,
Mike
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repainting should work in both those examples. The critical thing is to copy any one of the existing maps and change the tile number to "####", then select that file as the source map. UVLayout will then replace the "####" in the filename with the appropriate tile number when repainting the maps to the new UVs.

Oh, and make sure you are running v2.08.01, because that's when the multi-tile repainting support was added.

"need to create texture 1003-1004 before starting the process."

No, all output maps will be created automatically.

Phil
mokosan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: remapping didnt work as expected Reply with quote

Im running 2.08.02

I was able to get it to remap, but it remapped the texture #### (whichever one I named this way) to the new uvs. so I got three maps where the uvs had been moved to....It remapped map1, not 2 and 3.

Another person at work who used the same approach got grey textures generated.
Will have to look into it more, maybe send you a video..

M
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a video would be good, or sample files would be good too, whatever is easiest.

Phil
mokosan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: remap textures not intuitive enough Reply with quote

Hi,

So the ability to remap textures from an old layout to a new one (multiple UDIMS) is a feature that is consistently asked for and necessary at work. I tried to do it the other week for a college and again, I wasn't able to get it to work. This time it had black patches and grid textures showing up in every new texture (I'll try to send you this scene etc soon).

Mudbox and Mari have different ways of naming their UDIM textures, so if the tool doesn't currently support both naming conventions this would be an important improvement.
The option to change the resolution of the textures would be another one (up res and down res).

I think the biggest improvement would be to make it so any dummy could use it.
The tool should detect the UDIM naming of the existing textures so that all you have to do it point to the old mesh, pick the resolution (8, 16, 32 bit | 2k 4k 8k) and hit render.

Again, this is an amazing feature. Currently people are moving to do this in Mari.
I would really like to see this feature improved.

Cheers,
Mike
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: remap textures not intuitive enough Reply with quote

"Mudbox and Mari have different ways of naming their UDIM textures, so if the tool doesn't currently support both naming conventions this would be an important improvement."

I think it does. I cant test it myself (dont have or use mudbox or mari) but have made changes to support users of both tools. The key thing I think was adding the "1st" option, because from memory, there was a difference between different packages for what exactly the 1st tile number was (i.e. "0" or "1").

"The option to change the resolution of the textures would be another one (up res and down res)."

Yep, it does that too, but maybe only when using the CSV files to drive the process. I'll have to check if the "*2" and "/2" conventions are supported by the rez setting in the GUI window.

"I think the biggest improvement would be to make it so any dummy could use it."

I'm think here that some configuration pre-set files might be the way to go. So all you'd need is a TD to set it up for how ever that company does things, and then everyone else just loads up those settings.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: