headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

rescale shells to match locked shell position

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokosan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: rescale shells to match locked shell position Reply with quote

Hi,

I imagine this has been asked before but I couldnt find anything in the user guide on the specific question.

I have a set of shells that have been relaxed and layed out, now I want to send more geo back to uvlayout with it to unwrap/relax but the scale of the old and the new shells is different.

What I want to do is rescale the new geo/shells to match the old one 'without moving the old/original shells.

I would have though that I would just select the old shells, hit LOCAL, then select the new shells and hit Rescale &.

Could you please give me a description on how to go about this type of action?

Thanks,
Mike
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly what you want to look at is the Move/Scale/Rotate "Set Size" field. It displays the size of the UV square in the same dimensions as your objects in 3D space.

But its also editable, which means you can load up your old mesh, write down that value, then load up the new mesh and set that to the same size as the old. Then when you bring all those shells together in your modeler, they'll all have the same texture density (i.e a projected checker will have the same sized squares over the whole scene).

If you have a large scene with many objects, it can be worthwhile setting the "Set Size" value under the Load preferences. Then all the objects you load and flatten will have the same relative UV scale.

Phil
mokosan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Set UV scale Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I have looked at your suggestion.
Could you please take a look at this video and see if you can add in a feature like this?

http://vimeo.com/856301

As I suggested in my earlier post, it would be great if we could assign local scale to a particular shell. I imagine this would adjust the set size scale, then you could run 'rescale &' to conform all other shells to match.

Cheers,
Mike
mokosan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: one more note Reply with quote

Just to be clear, I would want the shell that I get the scale from to stay in place.
The shell and udim scale should remain the same.

Along the lines of what happens when you select a shell and run 'local' on it.

So, it sets the shell to local, calculates a relative scale, then you run rescale & which will rescale all other, or selected shells.

Thanks,
Mike
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Even if I used the workaround you show I'd love to see the feature mokosan is asking.
That would simplify the process.

But I think you can achieve the same thing with a little more work, at the moment.
Like Phil said export just the object you want to keep the scale from.
Copy the value in set size, export all the objects and past your size.
Lock the object you want to keep unchanged and set the scale with & rescale button.

Does it works for you?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: